Thursday, September 3

Taking a trip down memory/candy lane


The last week I've been surprised with many different little sweeties from my past...

Did you know that you can buy Choo Choo Bars? There were two boxes on the counter at Bangalow IGA last Saturday and I was immediately picking two up in case hubby would feel all nostalgic like me. Luckily for me he did not, and I got to claim his. The licorichey toffee was one of the few sweet things in our school canteen and you could buy them for 10c.

Then on Sunday, at the Lennox Head markets I saw a little girl eating a Darrel Lea Bo-Peep jar of candies. Wow they are obviously still around, but I haven't seen them for donkeys!! We used to get these in our Christmas stockings as kids.


Then today, at our local IGA they had lolly bags made up with cobbers, musk sticks, mint leaves, and CARAMEL BUDS. Oh good lord, I LOVED caramel buds. Back in the day when I had the choice of two corner shops at either end of my street, both had lolly counters and you could ask for 10c of mixed lollies and actually get more than 2 sweets! I remember once I actually picked flowers from neighbours' gardens (oh goodness if my kids did that now I'd lose it!) and gave it to the lady at the corner shop. She gave me extra lollies, so I went back 3 extra times that day. They had neighbourhood flowers EVERYWHERE. Oh dear.


Remember Razz/Sunnyboy/Cola triangle iceblocks at school? How some of them had 'free's printed on the inside - you got a free iceblock for the next day. You would be SOOO popular... a 'FREE' as it became known at our school was almost like guaranteed celebrity status for a day.. and you could wave it around grinning like a cheshire cat in the line to claim your free iceblock the next day. It wouldn't have mattered if it was SNOWING. You would still be claiming it.
I used to get 20c for tuck-shop once a week - it used to buy me the above-mentioned Sunny-boy (12c) and 8 licorice (1c each).


Orange juice used to be a see -through soft plastic pyramid (Mr Juicy I think?) too. Man, I'm going back to 1977 here. Scary stuff.

Remind me of some of the other lollies/kids' food that was around in your or my day?
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on September 3, 2009 at 6:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh lordy my love for a choo choo bar hasn't faded with the years. Funnily enough I bought a little bottle of Bo Peeps at the chemist the other day - and even allowed my daughter to have a few...
Remember though how with "teeth" you could put them in your mouth for an hilarious set of falsies? Now they're so teeny they're more like a bridge.
Ah, the corner shop and lollies. Memories...

Kylie G on September 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love sunny boy and caramel buds too! I'm still in search of the elusive caramel bud to this day. I have found a few poor imitations, but nothing comes close to the childhood memory. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me?

Sue Whiting on September 3, 2009 at 9:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I feel sorry for kids of today - oh, to have never experienced that Sunny Boy joy! Thanks for the trip, Liss.

Belinda on September 4, 2009 at 3:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What about Snips (the milk version of Sunnyboys), Redskins (the raspberry version of choo choo bars), Toffee Apple bars, Fags and Musk Sticks (still around a bit, but not the same), and ice creams - "Smurfs", "Fingers" and "Bubble O Bills". Oh the memories a choo choo bar can trigger - thanks!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015