Wednesday, September 16

Word to the Wise Wednesday - Clean your oven the non caustic way


I recently let my oven get to an absolutely disgusting state.  I cleaned it last December but given how much I bake, that's not near often enough!  I hate cleaning the oven mostly because of the commercial oven cleaners..
  • They STINK.  Literally.
  • My lungs are not happy and either is my family. 
  • I also hate that no matter how much you rinse afterwards, the smell permeates into the next one or two things you cook
  • It aint cheap and you have to use gloves!!
So, the solution for me.. Napisan (oxygenated nappy wash).  Yes, don't gasp.  It works.
  • 1 cup Napisan and enough water so it goes into a runny paste.
  • take your oven racks and trays out
  • smear over all surfaces (well excluding vents!)
  • smear over trays and racks separately
  • close oven and leave for 30 minutes (leave racks same period)
  • With a scourer, sponge and bucket of warm water - dislodge any grime with scourer, then wipe off with sponge.
  • Finally using vinegar in a spray bottle or just plain spray and wipe, wipe off any residue.
  • Scrub trays and racks same way.
The great news here is:
  • It's easy
  • It's effective
  • It's cheap
  • and it doesn't stink and your food doesn't taste funny!
Give it a try as part of your spring cleaning routine!
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for the tip :)

the tomorrow girl on September 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Im with you, I hate the fumes of the normal oven cleaners. I found a natural one but it doesnt work so well.
I ll be trying this one next time!
Thanks for posting about it! :)

Kylie G on September 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

thanks for the tip, my oven is desperate for a clean, but i've been avoiding it because i hate those awful cleaners and didn't know what else to use.

Kez said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Spring cleaning routine? What language are you speaking here?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015