Wednesday, September 30

What's for dinner... Dahl....????


Now even if you're not a vegetarian, and you've never had Indian food, or the indian food you've eaten hasn't been your cup of tea, this might make you change your mind...  It's moorish, seriously.

Did you also know that it's National Vegetarian week?  Could you pledge to try veg?

I have been a long-time order-er of Dhal Markhani at Indian restaurants (oh I miss going out to dinner!) and I was so thrilled when I came across this recipe in an old Womens' weekly years ago, I tore it out and kept it ever since.. (don't sue me ACP!) - it tastes really authentic actually, and I'm super fussy! (No recipe mix in sight either!

It's mild enough for those non-curry lovers and my kids had seconds! 



Ingredients:
3/4 cup dried split yellow peas
3/4 cup dried red lentils
1 420gram tin brown lentils
2 tb butter
2 medium onions,  finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced/finely diced
1 tb fresh minced ginger/ginger grated
2tb black mustard seeds (If you can't find at the supermarket try a large fruit market or deli, I got mine from fruit market for $2.49)
2tb ground cumin
1 tb ground coriander
2 tsp ground tumeric
2 x 420g tins crushed tomatoes
1 litre vegetable stock
100ml coconut cream
Fresh coriander, roughly chopped to finish

Method:
Soak your split peas and red lentils in about 1.5 litres of water overnight, you could get away with about 4 hours if you forget..



In a deep frypan, melt butter and add onions, garlic, and ginger until soft.
Add mustard seeds, ground coriander, cumin and tumeric until aromatic (about 1 minute)
 
Add drained red lentils,yellow split peas and brown lentils.
 

Add the tomatoes, and top up with roughly 250ml of stock, simmer until absorbed, and add more stock as needed.  Should simmer for about 1 hour.When that is done, stir through the coconut cream.

 

Lastly, cut ends of coriander leaves with scissors and stir through. 
 

This is how I served the girls, with white/brown rice combo and plain pappadums
(I so love that you can microwave them instead of frying!)
 

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Cathie on September 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

we are vegetarians & we LOVE dhal! yumm, how can anyone not. you know what goes fantastically with it, homemade chapati...yummm. thanks Liss for making me hungry :)

Teachermum on July 18, 2010 at 9:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for the recipe! I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015