Tuesday, September 29

Canape, Snack, Lunch, Breakfast - the humble corn fritter...



I remember corn fritters very fondly in my childhood, in fact my mum would make a fritter out of any leftovers!  Corned beef fritters were also a fave too.  I make zucchini and carrot ones, but these ones are by far the favourite of my girls who will request them any time of the year - if they want a warm-up or a 'special breakfast'.

They're easy to make and you don't need a lot of ingredients... fresh corn on the cob, tinned kernels or even frozen ones (like I used this time) all work well.  Looking forward to having our own corn this summer!


For a snack or lunch I serve these with tomato sauce
For breakfast  I serve with grilled peppered cherry tomatoes - great alternative to bacon!
For a canape - I make them smaller and serve with sweet chilli sauce.

Great news is these do freeze well and you can reheat in the oven when you want to eat!


Ingredients:
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 cups corn kernels \
3 shallots, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil


Method:
Combine flour, soda, paprika in a bowl; whisk through buttermilk and eggs to form a batter.



Combine corn, green onions, parsley and coriander in a large bowl. Stir through the batter; season with salt and pepper.

 

Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Add tablespoonfuls of mixture into pan. Cook fritters for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden.



Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Unknown on September 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love fritters.
I make mine with Zucchini and Corn.
I serve them with Avocado Salsa, Smoked Salmon and Sour Cream (with a little red chilli mixed in)
Yummo!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015