Sunday, September 27

Some Sunday baking.... Norwegian Cinnamon Buns



I was on the hunt the other day for some yummy baking but couldn't quite put my finger on what - so I went to my failsafe inspiration handbook:  Nigella Lawson - How to be a Domestic Goddess and there I found these.

I'm very pleased to say mine look much like hers, which is what I love about Nigella, it's all achievable, right?

This is a great one to divide up (I cut my big one) into two loaves and freeze one and eat one - perfect for an afternoon tea with friends.  The smell of it cooking is just amazing, please try it!


Ingredients:
for the dough
600 grams plain flour
100 grams white sugar
3 sachets yeast powder (yes, as Nigella says, it is REALLY THREE!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
100 grams butter
400ml milk
2 eggs


For the filling
150 grams soft unsalted butter
150 grams white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 egg, beaten to glaze


Method:
In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and sugar, stir to combine

Melt butter, and add to it the milk and eggs, give a quick whisk with a fork and add to flour mixture.   Turn out onto a floured surface and knead out for a few minutes until well combined, no need to go to town..it should be elastic-like.

Place in a clean glass bowl, sprayed with kitchen spray and cover with clingfilm.  Place in a warm place for about 20-30 minutes or until it roughly doubles in size.


Meanwhile, whisk all filling ingredients together until well combined.  Preheat oven to 230 degrees c

Grease a lamington tin or baking tray with at least 4 inches at side (I used a casserole dish!)

Take out 1/3 of the dough and roll it out toform the base -so aim for the same size as the base or just a little bit bigger so it fills out the bottom of your dish.


Take the next third, roll it out about 15 inches wide and 6 inches long, then spread half the filling with a knife over the majority of the surface.

Roll up the dough to get a long sausage.  Cut at 3-4 inch intervals and place upright on top of base.

Brush with beaten egg and place in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until brown.  Check the base is cooked and if not, turn down the heat to 150 and bake until done.


Photos don't really do them justice as to how wonderfully delicious looking, smelling AND tasting they are!




 

Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on September 27, 2009 at 12:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love these-but they should come with a moreishness warning. I ate so many at once it was a little disturbing...

Cathie on September 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

mmm, Liss, they look great! I must admit that I get a bit lazy with dough baking, don't really want to knead & wait for things to rise. must try them though, gotta love Nigella!
bet you can't stop at one though ..mmmm

Penelope on September 28, 2009 at 4:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss these are so BAD...but oh so good...so morish!

Kylie G on September 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

these look so good but I'm so scared of baking bread products. I really must give them a go.

Maryandlil on March 31, 2011 at 7:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

i made these yesterday and posted the results on my blog...thanks heaps they were YUMMO!!

Liss on March 31, 2011 at 7:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Nicole Bunyon How wonderful Nicole! I tried to leave a comment on your blog but I got the message that comments are only open to team members?

Maryandlil on April 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

its all good now. the permissions were wrong :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015