Sunday, September 27

No frills, names, black and gold... generic..



Is there something you just wouldn't go generic?  Toilet paper?  I buy generic nearly everything these days... but there are a few places I just won't go:

Toilet paper - I'm addicted to Quilton
Cling Wrap - it HAS to be Glad
Vegemite - needs to be the real thing
Kitchen spray- I can't not have either the PineOclean 4 in 1 or Windex multisurface...
Kitchen sponge - I'm loyal to vileda


A couple of things that I would swear by now:


You'll love coles Belgian mint chocolate - seriously amazing chocolate - I was dubious but some lovely ladies put me onto it and whenever I shop in Coles, I put some in my basket!

Woolworths Select Red Salmon - pretty darn good actually!


Woolworths Bakery par-baked turkish loaf - this is the family favourite accompanyment to soup..


What couldn't you go generic for?  Anything generic you could add to the love-list?
Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Kat on September 27, 2009 at 11:40 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

no frills gingernut cookies are the best ones you can get. And no frills milk bottles too!

Katy on September 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yes, I buy just about everything generic too, and find the Aldi clingwrap is actually pretty good! I just wish they'd come out with a decent baking paper, as I go through metres of it.

Also the Aldi bulk tomato sauce (2L bottle, I think) is so rich, it's comparable to fountain.

carly on September 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

im not fussed with what i buy. toilet paper i prefer kleenex but will settle for the other good brand. the name escapes me.

tim tams have to be real. actually i think all chocolate has to be real.

the no frills i prob buy most is pasta.

Cathie on September 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

gotta love generic, especially you'll love coles stuff. we use scotch finger biscuits in cheesecake bases and the YLC brand is identical to the real thing. also the belgian chocolate is fantastic.

PlanningQueen on September 27, 2009 at 9:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love mint chocolate and I think that Coles one is fantastic. Just a shame that I am on a chocolate detox at the moment....

Jaime on September 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Staples are easiest for me, flours, sugars, foil, baking papers... I actually like the HB tomato sauce. I tend to buy at Aldi more these days too, when I can make the trek. I find a lot of their stuff to be really good.

Especially their chocolate. Gotta stay far away from it at the moment though.

Di said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I won't buy a lot of generic stuff, mainly because I know of the effect it can have in a community. I grew up near the Kleenex factory. The entire town I lived in was pretty much employed there. Now, apparently, they are having huge numbers of redundancies, because of the generic brands.

My main issue, however, with the toilet tissues and so forth is they use old growth Indonesian forests to make them with. So no, I won't use generic toilet paper. And no, I don't use Kleenex either. I use safe.

I will buy SOME generic, but always make sure I read the label to make sure that I am not destroying some australian factory by doing so.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015