Tuesday, October 5

Mulligatawny - Indian beef soup


 
Well it didn't take long is all I'm going to say.  Yesterday's recipe had me yearning for a bowl of this, given I used to order them together and now I've had my fill.  I think I had two large bowls, purely because I was so excited to make and eat it again after such a long absence!

Hubby loved it too, his first try, he was first at the pot for a round of second helpings!  I made an express version of this using my pressure cooker, but if you don't have one, never fear, you can use a regular saucepan/pot - you'll have have to allow yourself another hour.


Ingredients:
80g butter
2 medium onions, diced
2 large carrots, diced
1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced
3 tb curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tb plain flour
1.5 litres beef stock
400g tin diced tomatoes
3 tb uncooked white rice
500g beef mince


Method:
In a frypan (or pressure cooker) melt butter and add onions, carrot and apple over medium heat.  Allow onions to soften and sprinkle with curry power, cayenne and black pepper, and finally the flour.

Add the stock about 1 cup at a time stirring it through the ingredients until all combined.  Lastly add the tomatoes and white rice.  If cooking with a pressure cooker, place lid on and cook for 20 minutes.  If not, keep simmering over a low heat stirring occasionally for about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, brown your mince and set aside.

When the sauce is cooked, puree in batches using a blender or food processor and place into your pan with the mince.  Heat through, and serve!

Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015