Saturday, September 26

Recipe Number 100 - Pretty Pavlovas




Yes, you voted for it, Katy kind of asked for it (I never conform do I?!)


As you might know I have three girls.  This means at times we have an overload of pink... but you could colour these any colour you like - or not at all.  I think they would be brilliant for a pink ribbon lunch if you are looking at hosting one.  I think I will this year.

Anyhoo, so this is adapted from the Nigella Lawson pavlova recipe - which is actually Stephanie Alexanders'.  I've made it in a large pavlova and now these little ones and the only adjustment you need to make is your cooking time.  1 hour for a full pavlova, 35-40 for mini-pavlovas.


Ingredients:
4 egg whites, at room temperature
half a lemon
250 grams caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar

300mls double cream or whipped cream
Fresh fruit like passionfruit, kiwi, bananas, strawberries - whatever you fancy!  Or you could do raspberries and shaved chocolate - get creative!

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

If you want to do a particular shape, like I have with hearts in this case, trace or draw them onto some greaseproof paper. Cut to size of baking tray.


Cut your lemon in half, and rub the juice into the inner surfaces of your mixing bowl (or kitchenaid bowl) and beaters.  wipe with paper towel.  This gets rid of any greasy residue on either and ensures perfect egg whites every time (good tip huh?)


Place your egg whites in bowl and beat until stiff peaks
Add sugar in 1/3 at a time and beat until completely mixed (mix should be glossy)


Turn off beaters, remove from stand and add cornflour, vanilla, vinegar plus any colouring you wish
Mix through carefully.



Put on your baking sheet, to shape my hearts I put two dollops close to the top and spread downwards, I used a dishcloth and knife to shape.



When ready to place in oven - turn down oven to 150 degrees immediately.  bake small pavlovas for 35 minutes and a large one for one hour.

Once baking is down, turn off oven, and leave pavlovas in oven for at least one hour to cool.(You can store in airtight containers for about 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.)


By using the vinegar and cornflour, it makes the pavlovas crispy on the outside, and gooey-marshmallow-chewy like in the centre. (I sacrificed one here to show you!)



When completely cooled, top with cream and decorate as you wish..
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Katy on September 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummo!!!!!!!! Will give these a go I think next weekend for my sisters birthday!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015