Tuesday, September 15

Homemade Strawberry Icecream


As I mentioned in an earlier post, us Sydneysiders got an early taste of summer on the weekend with temperatures up to 31 degrees (88F).    This co-incided with us stumbling upon the sale of trays of strawberries (16 punnets of 250g) for $6.99.  Saturday being a busy day, Sunday I got up early and de-stalked them all and it netted 3.7kg.  Worked out 43c a punnet or $1.88kg nett.  Great bargain.
So I bagged them up in 1kg lots for the freezer (good for jam), and the left over 700 grams set aside for iceceam.

Ingredients: (Makes 1 litre)
700 grams strawberries,diced into small pieces
1tb lemon juice
2 cups double cream
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence

Method:
Ensure your icecream maker is frozen, frozen FROZEN.. (I made this mistake first time around and had to repeat the making process!)

In a bowl combine strawberries, lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar - put in the fridge for 1 hour.

After your hour, beat your eggs for about 2 minutes until they become light and fluffy.

Add the remaining sugar slowly, then milk and vanilla essence the same way whilst beating slowly.
Add bowl of strawberries and beat slowly for 1 more minute

Stir in cream by hand, and chill the mixture for another 30 minutes

Place in your icecream maker and follow manufacturers instructions then pour into air tight containers and icetups and freeze.  

If you don't have an icecream maker, you can still make this! It's just a little more effort.  Put in the freezer for 1 hour 30 minutes and put in a food processor and re-whip for 3 minutes and re-freeze.  Repeat his 3 times.

PS:  This is recipe #94 - don't forget to enter the competition and tell me what you think should be my 100th recipe post!
Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on September 15, 2009 at 12:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

How good was it?

They were insanely cheap. I love strawberries! :)

Kat on September 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummy! That sounds so good. We got some cheap strawberries here on the Gold Coast too so I may just have to try this recipe out.

Gabrielle on September 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I bet it was yummy! Do you have the ice-cream maker attachment for the Kitchenaid? I'd love to make ice cream but I can't be bothered making it by hand! Lazy me.

Liss on September 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

'Telle - I don't think you want to know :P I have put it in 12 icetups and 1/2 litre container..

Gab - no I have a Mr Frosty/Snowy Sunbeam icecream maker... but a kitchenaid one will be purchased.. down the track they're $200 you know!! eek!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on September 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Lissa, you're so cute! Buying up on strawberries is something that I'd totally do too. And what lovely plans you have for them! :)

Gabrielle on September 17, 2009 at 9:53 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hmmm, $200! I didn't realise they were that expensive but I suppose everything KitchenAid is expensive. You can buy a lot of Maggie Beer ice cream for $200!

Liss on September 17, 2009 at 2:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

But you know Gab, it makes 1.9litres in a kitchenaid and only 1 litre in most home icecream makers - so for us it's probably a worthy investment.. oh to get things wholesale, wouldn't that be brilliant?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015