Monday, June 22

Seasonal Challenge Update 3


I'm so pleased with myself!

I've cooked fennel! I used to have fennel in my summer green salads years ago - pre hubby and kids so when I picked up the fennel on Saturday at the market on clearance for 2 baby heads for $1 hubby turned up his nose. I continued to buy it anyway, but stopped short at the artichokes. I'll have to surprise him with those I think and find a delicious recipe to either enhance or disguise them!

Tonight I made the chorizo and fennel hotpot from this months' good taste magazine. Easily made. I actually prepared it this morning - but I used 2 chorizo sausages instead of the 1 called for in the original recipe. I also after preparing it, put in an oven proof dish and stirred through the cannellini beans - I'll reheat tonight with a bit of Parmesan on top.


Other seasonal triumphs this week continue to be oranges - we've eaten a dozen this week! We never seem to have enough in the house! Same goes with lemons - I'm going to make a lemon meringue pie tomorrow and there's been a request for lemon delicious tonight... and let's not forget the 2 batches of pumpkin scones I've made!

Oh the piece de resistance is definitely the rhubarb streusel I made - oh lordy - sooo good. It's like a buttercake bottom with sweet melty rhubarb centre and crumble top. (sorry the pic was from those-days-I-had-to-use-my-phone-camera!)

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on June 22, 2009 at 5:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Can you please come and live at my house for a bit. I just want to smell everything you make... oh and probably taste some too. x

Grace on June 22, 2009 at 7:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The streusel looks YUMMO!! Mmmm.

I noticed artichokes at Woolies today. Yummo! I like mine rather plain - just boiled, and served with a bit of mayo on the side. I just dip the leaves into the mayo and eat the fleshy bit :) The heart's my fav bit!!

Alycia on June 22, 2009 at 8:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Side note - I LOVE artichokes! I used them as the ingredient in a weekly cooking challenge I run on a forum and it was not at all well received. I fail to understand why not!!!

PinkPatentMaryJanes on June 23, 2009 at 8:46 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh wow, I'm so impressed. Every year I say I'm going to branch out with new food experiences - and now I will. I think I'll have to give this recipe a shot, we're huge chorizo fans in our house.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015