Wednesday, September 16

Sometimes it's nice to try something new...


I'm a self-confessed spice-addict.  I see a spice I haven't used before I must use it.  I'm terrible!

So I've had these Juniper berries sitting siting in my pantry for a couple of months and I couldn't for the life of me remember for what purpose I purchased them for (I usually have one).. someone mentioned that they would be good with a lamb roast, which I thought was odd because I thought they were really for game or pork type dishes.... but I had a little hunt around and found a lamb rub that had juniper berries and thought I'd give it a go.

Well let me say I'm never making a lamb roast without it now. Hubby was very impressed.  It made lovely pan gravy too.

Ingredients to be mashed/pounded for about 2 minutes in mortar and pestle:
2 medium sprigs fresh rosemary
2 small or 1 large clove garlic
12 juniper berries
12 whole peppercorns
1 tb maldon or non -iodised salt
1 tb olive oil

Method:
Preheat oven to highest setting
with a knife, pierce fatty side of the lamb in random places around 2-3 apart
Rub in the rub
Roast for 20 minutes

For the gravy, I add to the pan:
1/2 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
1/2 cup water
1 tsp gravy powder
1 tb cream
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Ronnie on September 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Followed you here from Fat Mum Slim...loved your post about you and your hubby. Now following you!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015