Tuesday, September 8

Sweet Baked Crispy Chicken


Now this one is an easy one.    I got the recipe from Australian Womens' Weekly Christmas Cookbook two years ago, and made it not expecting much... well it was the hit of Christmas, in fact it is regularly requested by Jon, a friend of ours and even though I've given the recipe to his wife Susan a few times, he still insists I make it.

You can put it on the barbeque, and the original recipe suggests you would, but I think it's much better baked in the oven, and a lot less messy.

The best news is there's only a few ingredients, it takes about 5 minutes to prepare and under 30 minutes to cook (depending how much you cook of course) It's great cold also.

I make it mostly in warmer weather but it's good with a salad, or vegetables... use any cut of chicken although I think it's best with Maryland cut of chicken.

Ingredients:
6 pieces chicken Maryland (whole thigh/leg)
6 cubes (or tb) palm sugar (around $2.20 in asian/international area of your supermarket - more common than you think!)
2 tb ground cumin

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c
Grease lipped baking tray with non-stick spray

Score chicken with knife in criss-cross fashion

In a mortar and pestle mix the cumin and palm sugar until well combined.
Rub into chicken

Bake for 30 mins or until cooked through.
Sounds easy right?  Delicious! 

When I serve this to friends I also make a Nam Jin sauce (the original recipe I have included this) and it is yummy.

Firstly, break up with your hands equal amounts of thai basil and mint and lay down as your bed (you eat it with the chicken) lay your chicken down on top, and then serve with a side jug or bowl/spoon of Nam Jin Sauce to drizzle over the top.

In  a food processor:
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 large green chillies, seeded, chopped
2 coriander roots
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons grated palm sugar, extra
3 French shallots, chopped
¼ cup (60ml) lime juice
 
It truly must be tried.  I have cooked this at least a dozen times, it's probably my most requested summer dish of friends.. and it's so easy too!
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

BabyMac on September 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That does look oh so good and SO easy. I am going to have a crack this weekend I think - YUM! Thanks

Shell on September 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

mmmm looks great - and even better that chicken Maryland's are currently $1.99/kg at my butcher!!

reality raver on September 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Definitely will be cooking this.

Shell on September 10, 2009 at 1:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Made this last night... DELICIOUS! Didn't both with the sauce just for the two of us - but can imagine it would be lovely.
I just tore some fresh coriander over the top.
I highly recommend getting the palm sugar Liss has pictured, as it is a bit of a softer brand.
I had a hard one - and I wasn't really in the mood for a mortar and pestle work out last night! lol


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015