Monday, May 18

Got myself in a right pickle!




Yesterday had a bit of a pickle-y afternoon.
I made Not-Quite-Nigella's cucumber pickle - which has a bit of an asian influence.. (left of above picture)

Then I made my favourite pickle - bread and butter pickled cucumbers. (right of above picture)

When I was little, my grandfather used to make these in huge quantities and when cucumbers were in season, I would look forward to devouring my very own maxwell house coffee jar volume (I reckon at least a litre!) which I would eat almost half of before we'd even got home. It's a very fond memory.

Then at the last couple of months of my pregnancy with Laura and Olivia I had an insatiable craving for water crackers with cream cheese and bread and butter pickle. I would seriously eat a packet of crackers, half a tub of cheese and 3/4 jar of pickles a day. It was insane. I still love them!

Ingredients (Makes 2 litres)
1.2kg of cucumbers, sliced into 5mm thickness slices, no ends included.
400 grams white or spring onions, sliced thinly
1/4 cup of non-iodised salt (I found this in coles - it's called 'salt flakes' has no anti-caking agent or iodine - this discolours the pickle)
1 1/4 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
2 1/4 cups white sugar
1 tb mustard seeds
3/4 tsp celery salt
1tsp cinnamon or break the end off a cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp allspice
6 cloves
1/2 tsp tumeric


Method
In a large container (I used a casserole dish!) mix the cucumber and onion and salt. Put into the fridge for 1 hour.
Mix remaining ingredients in a stockpot and bring to the boil until sugar is dissolved
Mix in the cucumbers, onions and salt, simmer up to a boil and then store in jars/pic-a-deli in the fridge.
If you want to store these as preserves or give as gifts - sterilise your preserve jars by boiling in hot water (rubber seals off of course!) for 10 minutes, then dry in oven on teatowel upon baking tray in 110deg c oven for 15 minutes... put in hot mixture and seal immediately.

Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Katy on May 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my Dad would love these! Don't know how you do it, way to go!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great to see that you made it! Looks good :)

mummabee on May 19, 2009 at 9:53 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh I love bread and butter pickles!!

Christie on March 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Liss, I was looking for just this recipe today for our cucumber glut and I knew your blog would be the place to go! Will let you know how I go!

Christie on March 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Okay they are made and they smell glorious! Have blogged and linked to your wonderful blog! Thanks again xx

http://jellyfishfingers.blogspot.com/2010/03/cucumber-pickles.html


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015