Monday, May 25

The art of a good meatloaf.


It's so 70's isn't it? But I've had some great and not so great ones in my time and experimented quite a bit - so I would call myself somewhat educated on the preparation and taste of a good meatloaf.

Our last week of autumn is here and with that I cannot deny winter will soon be here and comfort food is order of the day(s). I like to make a big meatloaf assuring there's enough to eat for dinner and some more for lunches. Have on a sandwich with tomato sauce/barbeque sauce or home-made relish (yum I have some in the fridge at the moment!) Kids will eat fingers of it for lunch hot or cold.
Yummy Winter Meatloaf
Ingredients:
500grams sausage mince (you can buy this from woollies for $1.99 a roll)
500grams regular beef mince (I have topside)
3 slices grainy bread
1/2 cup milk
couple stalks of fresh chopped parsley
1 egg
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 potato, grated
2tb Worcestershire sauce
1tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp curry powder (add more if you like a bit more of a zing, I did about 4 tsp!)

Sauce:
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tb white vinegar
2 tb cream
2 tb butter or margarine
2 tb lemon juice

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 deg c.

Soak the bread in the milk, break it up with a fork when soaked and then mix the rest of ingredients in. Place in greased loaf pan/s (depending how big yours are you may need 2) cover with aluminium foil and bake for 30 mins.

Prepare the sauce by putting all ingredients in saucepan and simmering for about 5 minutes. When the meatloaf comes out the oven, drain any fat and pour on the sauce and return to the oven for another 15 minutes without aluminium foil.

Let sit for another 15 minutes before serving. Slice like bread whilst in the pan is my preferred method!

If you are so inclined:
My mum used to make her meatloaf in the 70's with a hard-boiled egg in the middle... so when you sliced it you got a cross-section of egg too - I don't do that now as I fielded complaints in the house and it's just not worth it, but this recipe works well with that too - just add 3 hard boiled eggs to your mixture. Just put half the mixture in the bottom of the loaf tin, line up your eggs in row along the loaf and then put the rest of the mixture on top.
Mine as you can see filled 1 loaf pan plus 2 large ramekins (for hubby to take for lunch)

Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Fiona T on March 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum. This recipe sounds very similar to the one I use from 'thrifty kitchen'. Maybe I'll defrost some slices to use in our 'hamburgers' tonight. Thanks for the reminder :D


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015