Wednesday, June 10

Seasonal Challenge Update 2


Man I have been SLACK on documenting this but I have made a big effort and am really enjoying not only understanding what's in season, saving money buying fruit and vege in season but most importantly pushing myself to find new ways to use seasonal produce.

Lemons are in season and I've been using them alot!
We've also made a huge effort to eat oranges - we bought a whole box (about 40 oranges) almost 4 weeks ago and now we have about 5 left. The kids love them cut up with lunch. Think I'll get my Nan over to help me make some of her Marmalade soon.

With pumpkin harvest having happened, and now at the end of season, I have picked them up cheaply over the past 6 weeks or so... and have made:
  • Roast Pumpkin Moroccan Cous Cous - first time ever made it -from July Issue of SuperFood ideas - will post next time I make it, it was yummy and hubby raved about it - good cold or hot - a little on the spicy side so probably not a great kids' dish though.
  • Pumpkin Soup (Hubby's recipe)
  • Pumpkin Tortellini
So, what next?

  • Rhubarb should be getting cheaper again, so hopefully I can make some rhubarb puddings.
  • Apples are still in season so more apple recipes coming this way.
  • Mandarins - I think we're going to be eating a few of those in the upcoming months - I personally love them and the kids do too.
  • Kiwifruit - might have to see what I can do with kiwis other than just eat them?
  • All the root veges are coming into season plus the broccoli/cauliflower. More pumpkin recipes I think will be coming I'd say as it's still cheap and will continue to be for at least the next 6 weeks.
Now I'm going to turn my hand to a few new ingredients for me:
  • Fennel: I used to make fennel salad ions ago, but I haven't cooked with it.. so going to give that a go.
  • Also I'm going to have a think about how to prepare some artichokes into a family meal. Any tips appreciated!

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

mum space on June 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss,
Just wanted to drop in and let you know I just discovered your blog via BlogThis and I am really enjoying it! Love your seasonal approach and I will have to try some of your lemon recipes.

Ally {mtm} on June 10, 2009 at 1:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss,
You are such a legend in the kitchen, I am going to attempt to make something from your blog a few times a month :)

Katy on June 10, 2009 at 1:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ewwww Fennel!!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 10, 2009 at 2:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I totally support you in this endeavour! I love eating seasonally (and it keeps thing more interesting) and I get excited trying to find recipes for items I've never made before!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015