Saturday, May 23

Pick-me-up in my underwear


My hubby was working overnight last night, and let's just say our little ladies took the change of routine a little over the top..hmmm.

Laura and Olivia did not go to sleep until sometime after 9.30pm. At 9.15pm Eloise woke up screaming that there was a mouse in her bed (there wasn't I checked) but at first I thought she said there was a man in her room which REALLY freaked me out as you can imagine!

So went to sleep in my room but kept wanting to be with me so sometime after 11.30 she finally went to sleep, as she kept calling out to the dog etc.

So I shared our bed with an almost 5 year-old sprawled out, complaining that the dog was snoring and the dog wanting to go out for toilet breaks at 2am and 4am. At 5.10am Laura woke and wanted pancakes and that's where the day started. To say I'm exhausted would be an understatement.

Argumentative, irratible, dramatic... that was the morning.. for all four of us, eventually got them all back to bed around 12.30 and they slept for a couple of hours..

Whilst they were sleeping I considered sleeping myself but thought I'd need some lunch first - broke my olive oil drizzle bottle all over the stove and my clothes... so I stripped down to my underwear because I had the onion already on the stove and just wanted to get it all done so I could sleep. I mopped up the oil with my clothes and continued to prepare slow cooker bolognaise plus my much needed pick me up soup.

It hit the spot. Feel much better.


Pick me up Spicy Soup

Ingredients:
2 tb olive oil
1 onion, diced finely
2 x 420grams of brown lentils or 1 x 420gram tin lentils and 1 420 gram tin kidney beans/similar
1 x 420 grams tin chopped/diced tomatoes
1 litre chicken stock (I used 1 litre water + 4 tsp massel chicken stock powder)
1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
few shakes chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander/cilantro seeds
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander/cilantro (yes it must be fresh!)

Method:
In Mortar and pestle, mash and combine the tomato paste, garlic, ginger, garam masala, chilli powder, cumin and coriander seeds until it makes a paste.
Fry onion in olive oil insaucepan/stockpot, add the spice paste, and ensure onions are soft. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and beans. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add chopped coriander/cilantro and simmer for another 5 minutes.

You don't need to, but I like to then put in my stick mixer/bamix in the pot to give it a better consistency.

Spoon up and serve - you may like sour cream and more coriander to garnish - I like to eat mine with toast/crusty bread.
as for sleep, didn't have any- that will need to wait 'til tonight - hopefully hubby will be home by bedtime!
Nutritonal info:
Servings Per Recipe: 4, Calories: 362.8, Total Fat: 11.0 g, Cholesterol: 7.2 mg, Sodium: 720.0 mg, Total Carbs: 47.0 g, Dietary Fiber: 15.3 g, Protein: 21.1 g .



Thermomix Adaptation:

- place garam masala, cumin, coriander seeds, garlic, ginger and oinion into Thermomix and put on 30 seconds, 100deg, speed 10. (I also added 1 large carrot)

- Add tinned lentils, tinned tomatoes, chicken stock (I used 1 tin of each and 1 cup stock) and place for 11 minutes 100 degrees speed 4.

Lastly add fresh coriander (and I added 100mls/g cream) for 30 seconds on 100, speed 6.

Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015