Sunday, June 5

Sunday baking project - quickie beer bread


This past week I can't even tell you where it's gone.  I feel like I've actually not achieved much at all.  You know those weeks where it feels like you're constantly running in circles?

I mean looking back things were actually achieved but not as much as I hoped.  I hoped to make some baguettes to stash  but it just didn't happen.  Thursday afternoon I was tidying some paperwork and I found the folder of recipes I'd torn out of old, old cooking mags - and had a quick flick through - when I found it.   Gourmet Traveller circa 2002 - back when I actually ate Gourmet and travelled on a regular basis....there it was... Beer bread.

Lightbulb.  It was cold and yukky outside.   It was almost time to pick the frils up from school - I'm sure it would be wonderful to walk into a warm house with warm bread and butter to warm the cockles... I set to work!  This was going to be served in 35 minutes!

Now this is as easy as Soda bread and damper but it's got a different taste.  It is a little 'yeasty' tasting but the parsley lifts it and the parmesan gives it great bitey kick.  I actually think it would be great on a Sunday lunch served with some sliced cheeses and ham.   Or better still with some blue vein and a glass of sauvingon blanc.   Actually you so so serve this instead of crackers with a cheese plate!  I made a couple of more yesterday - they are stashed in the freezer along with some minestrone and pumpkin soup.

The crust is deliciously crunchy too and that to me, says 'eat me'.  I love crusty bread.

Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1/4 cup grated parmesan
2 stalks parsley, finely chopped
1 tb demerera or raw sugar
1 tb salt flakes or sea salt
3/4 cup light beer 

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

Put all ingredients with the exception of the beer in a bowl.

Stir well and then make a well in the centre, and pour in the beer

Stir quickly and add a little beer or flour as required to get it in a soft ball that holds together

Place on a greased tray and score the top so it can expand - some cuts about 2mm deep lengthwise should do it...

Pop into the oven for 25 minutes, remove, cool for about 5 minutes and cut.. smother with butter or cream!

Voila!  Isn't that just what you feel like?


Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Diminishing Lucy on June 5, 2011 at 9:08 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Liss. We wer eonly talking about beer bread last night. Apparently my mother in law used to make it and my lovely husband asked me to dig up a recipe.

We shall try this...

Thank you, as always!

xx

MANDI on June 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

'Tis in my oven baking! Then being taken to a friends with some nice bitey cheese and the quince paste I made on Saturday.

Shell on June 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So, you only posted this last Sunday - and it is currently in my oven for the third time since!
I love that I can have bread on the table in just over half an hour. I may never wait for yeast to rise again ;)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015