Tuesday, June 7

Vegetable, beef and mushroom soup bake


Yes, you read that right.  No I'm not going back to packet mixes but I came across a recipe similar to this on about.com last week but it was a bit too naughty for me, and some of the ingredients aren't available here in Australia.... so I tweaked and I must admit, putting this in the oven I felt like a bit of a fraud.

And as I dished it up with loads of steamed vegetables - which I thought might help allay my almost-guilt when I took my first bite.... I had to admit it was pretty good.  Better than pretty good.  It was pretty fantastic.

The good news is I used that cream of mushroom soup I had in my pantry for over a year - I made dinner in about 20 minutes and everyone loved it.  Hubby wanted to know how I made it....  and when I confessed he was like 'cool, that's so easy!'

My advice to you is definitely get the salt-reduced-low-fat version of cream of mushroom soup.  I did and I think had there been any extra salt in it, that would have made it too salty - and also use lean beef or drain your mince after you've cooked... and serve it with lots of veg on the side!


Ingredients:
500g potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 large carrots, grated
3 sprigs thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
500g lean mince beef
1 tin cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup skim milk
2 cups breadcrumbs
1/2 cup tasty cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Layer potato on the bottom of a baking dish that has been sprayed lightly with canola oil.  Then layer the carrot over (I just have to show off my food processor again that cuts carrots sideways!!)


Sprinkle thyme over the top...


Brown mince in a frypan, drain and then sprinkle over carrot...


Mix the soup and the milk together then pour evenly over the top of the beef.

Mix your breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup tasty and 1/4 cup parmesan together.  Sprinkle over top of soup. Lastly sprinkle remaining tasty on top of that.

Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour and then remove foil and bake for a remaining 15 minutes

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Sonya Cheng on June 7, 2011 at 4:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ooh...looks like a quick and easy recipe!

In the photo, the tin of soup is condensed...should we use condensed soup, or ready to use tinned soup?

Bettina said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

YUM!! I hate to say it, I was a bit sceptical when I tasted the mushroom soup (you know....tasting as you go), but it was very yummy, and very easy!!!

Few additions; I added chopped onions and garlic to the mince (force of habit more than anything...) as well as sliced up mushrooms on top of the carrot - ate it with steamed broccollini; a really yummy easy mid-week dinner - a "do again" for sure. Thank you!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015