Thursday, October 14

Middle eastern feast #4 - Vegetarian delight - Felafel


Back in my vegetarian days (not so long before I strayed to fish and seafood but anyways) felafel kebabs was my takeaway of choice.  Usually at 3am in Manly corso after a few too many drinks, but I digress.  I love felafel in a kebab with lashings of hoummos and tabbouleh, fresh tomatoes and a little lettuce.

I loved making these and you can make them days in advance so make up a batch and graze on them.  Love it.  A great alternative too if you're catering for vegetarians and you don't know what to make!


Ingredients: Makes 8
1 cup drained tinned chickpeas
1 small brown onion
3 sprigs of continental parsley
2 sprigs of coriander
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
a pinch of chilli powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
3 tb plain flour


Method:
In a food processor mix chickpeas, onion, garlic and process until smooth.  Add the parsley, coriander and process again until combined.

Lastly add the cumin, coriander, chilli, bicarb and flour.  Process well.

Roll into balls, and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.

Heat some canola oil until boiling, and add the felafel.  fry for about 4 minutes on the first side, and 2-3 minutes on the second side  Drain on kitchen paper.

Reheat in the microwave if you wish - but they are yummy cold too!

Hope you've enjoyed our middle eastern feast of tabbouleh, hoummus, pita pocket bread and felafel!  


Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks so easy! I always thought they would be so hard too cook - well, now I know what we are having for dinner tonight!! :)

Nat Kringoudis Melbourne on October 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummo! I adore Falafel! I'm tweeting this - they look awesome.

Sally said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummo! Do you reckon they would freeze?

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I just came back to say I made these for dinner last night and they were utterly delicious - I made some home made tzatziki, and brought some tabbuleh & avocado and used some tortillas to make wraps - what a great, easy option for dinner! THanks again :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015