Monday, July 26

Frugal Fast Food: Cracked the Maccas Hotcake recipe!






I'm a happy girl, because I absolutely love these and always get them on roadtrips.  I make excuses to get them.  I know, it's bad.

I make regular-by-sight pancakes for the kids but always lament that they aren't Maccas hotcakes.  Does this make me pathetic?  Probably.

But now I've cracked it, finally.  It's perfect.  I am happy.  I never have to go to Maccas to get my fix again!  This also makes 10 x 15cm diameter hotcakes for about $2.50.  I can live with that too, believe me.

I just hope I don't Overdose.


Ingredients:
2 cups plain flour
2 tb caster sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp salt
600ml buttermilk (i.e. one carton)
80g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs


Method:
Put your buttermilk into your bowl. Sift flour and melt the butter.  Then put it all in your mixing bowl and with electric mixer, mix together until a fluffy mixture. (Took me about 3 minutes with a kitchenaid, so about 5 minutes with a hand beater).



Heat your pan on a medium high heat and melt a knob of butter.

Using a ladle, spoon the mixture onto the pan.

Cook for about 2-3 minutes - the top should be quite 'holey' and looking part way to a crumpet.


Then turn over for 1 minute - then serve!




Serve with honey or maple syrup and more butter... and share the recipe with your friends!!
Print this post in friendly format

11 lovely comments:

Jade on July 26, 2010 at 6:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh no! I sence pancake overload in my house tomorrow morning!

Thanks hun x

Corrie on July 26, 2010 at 7:09 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yum! I love their hotcakes too! when we went out to eastgardens the other day we were 1/2 hour early so I got 2 packs of hotcakes and the kids loved them. First time for then and a long time for me but definitely going to have to make these!!!!!!

thanks for outing yourself as a mcdonalds hotcake lover :)

Kali on July 26, 2010 at 8:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohhh, yummy!
I really like them too...thanks so much for sharing :D
xo, Kali

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on July 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Haha you're hilarious! :P Yours will no doubt be better as you use real maple syrup!

Liss on July 26, 2010 at 5:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yes L! I hope you bought back the 2 litre jug right? :P

Christie @ Fig and Cherry on July 27, 2010 at 9:48 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've got a carton of buttermilk that is destined for these this weekend!! :) Thanks Liss!

Elkay on August 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These are fantastic, I made them today and your recipe is spot on. Well done!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Not sure what I did wrong but my batter never got to light and fluffy even after 15 mins of using a beater. I had a thick batter but nothing like the picture.

Perhaps my bicarb/baking powder had lost its oomph as the end result was flat jacks.

Leimay on August 2, 2011 at 5:38 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oooooh this is one of the 2 things i miss now that i no longer eat Maccas! (these and cheeseburgers, nothing is quite like a maccas cheeseburger!)
These have to go on the next shopping list and then i'll make them when the kids aren't home... of course just to make sure i get them right lol

Bel on February 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh how good are maccas pancakes! A few years ago I made a new pancake recipe and thought the batter looked too thick so milked it down. Whilst eating said pancake, I realised it tasted and was the same texture as a maccas one.

When I get my kitchen back, I'll def be trying this one.

Cath on October 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've made these loads of times and they're always a hit :). I'm making a batch of batter now and am going to freeze it to take camping, we will see if it works :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015