Thursday, July 8

My lazy meal - Spaghetti with prosciutto, tomato and rocket



Back in those heady days of three babies under two years old - there would be lots of days where it would be after midday and I still hadn't had a shower, or breakfast.  Many days hubby would come home and I'd be almost crash-tackling him at the door handing over a baby so I could go to the toilet and go make dinner.  Dinner in those days were extremely basic, and more takeaway than I'd like to admit.  There was just so little time in the day really.

So one Friday night hubby and I were passed out in front of the telly and saw 'Fast Ed' do a dish similar to this - simple ingredients, inexpensive and very quick to assemble... looked yummy to boot.

I can't remember exactly what his had in it, it's morphed over time, but we had this last night, and there's never, ever, leftovers.  Luckily there's a stash of other leftovers in the freezer for hubby to take for lunch today.

What's your lazy meal?


Ingredients
1 tb olive oil
100g prosciutto, sliced thinly
1/4 tsp black pepper
18 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 clove garlic
1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely diced.
6 cups cooked spaghetti (about 20c piece bunch)
1 cup rocket, roughly chopped
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped (optional)



Method:
Boil a pot of water and then drop in your spaghetti.

In a large frypan or pot, add your olive oil, prosciutto and pepper.  Over a medium-high heat, cook the prosciutto until crispy.   Remove from pan and set aside.

Next add garlic, chilli and tomatoes (and mushroom if you are using them) and cook until softened.

Add your spaghetti to the pan, add back the proscuitto and sprinkle with half the Parmesan and all the rocket, toss, and turn heat to low.  Cover with lid for two or so minutes until the rocket has wilted.

Serve immediately and sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top.
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

BabyMac on July 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This was Daisy's dinner last night - except with bacon! Funny. It's a favourite easy, no fuss, guaranteed to be eaten dinner.

Talia on July 8, 2010 at 9:38 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My lazy meal is risotto. I just bung everything in (Guy Grossi style), and let it simmer away. Yum!

Sarah @ For the Love of Food on July 8, 2010 at 2:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My lazy dinner is tuna pasta (I even blogged on it 'cause it's so easy and tasty). Always great to find another I can add to my lazy (or is that time poor?) repertoire :)

Corrie on July 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohhh I don't know how you did 3 under 2 ! 3 under 3 was a killer and I had a big grown up miss keira who tried to help!

I do remember the days where I'd have to think uh oh when did I last have a shower because I know I didn't have one today - did I have one yesterday???? and some days things dont' change as I haven't had my shower since yesterday morning!

love spaghetti for a quick meal! one of my favourites is spaghetti, few cans of chilli tuna and grated cheese! really yummy and the kids have the regular tuna and cheese! so quick and easy!

Corrie:)

Jess Lothian said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I only discovered your blog about a week ago, and I've already used 4 of your recipes!

Our quick meal is almost the same as this except that we use some sliced and fried chorizo and we stir through some basil at the end instead of rocket.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015