Friday, July 9

Bill Granger's Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding


Oh my, oh my oh my.  Oh.my.

I have no idea why it took me so long to try this.  I've had Sydney Food for YEARS and I keep flicking past this gem thinking 'one day'.  Well that 'day' was this week and now I'm kicking myself.  This is super dooper divine.  You'd swear there's 2 large blocks of chocolate in it but there's not.

The cake part is incredibly spongey and the sauce, oh the SAUCE.  It's molten chocolate gold I tell you.

It's also fabulous cold.  You just cannot lose with this one.  I want another one now.


Ingredients
125g Plain Flour
1 Pinch of Salt
120g caster sugar
3 teaspoons Baking powder
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
250 ml Milk
85 g unsalted Butter melted
2 Eggs lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping
185 g soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
250 ml boiling Water


Method
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c.

Grease a medium baking tray or casserole dish.

Place the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and cocoa powder into a bowl.

Add the milk, butter, egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.

Pour into the dish.  Set aside.

Boil the water in a microwave proof jug in the microwave (about 2 minutes on high) then stir in the brown sugar and cocoa powder.

Pour  carefully over the pudding, then bake for 30 minutes.


Serve with thick cream.
Print this post in friendly format

10 lovely comments:

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella on July 9, 2010 at 1:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh and no creaming or anything! Like a one bowl, a bit of stirring and mixing and suddenly you have heaven in a dish! This serves one I presume? ;)

Liss on July 9, 2010 at 1:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh of course! If you're a glutton :P
Hubby and I were arguing over the last serving, but I snaffled it whilst he wasn't paying attention ;)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks delicious Liss!

Kylie G on July 9, 2010 at 4:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

i wonder if i could use haighs drinking chocolate instead of cocoa. what do u think?

Sarah @ For the Love of Food on July 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Nice and easy and cheap too with no chocolate in it! Might give this a go this weekend for a baking project with my little one.

Bec said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is currently in the oven but the cake bit didn't look as cakey as yours, too thin, and the syrup didn't stay on the top!!!

Will update in a while.

PlanningQueen on July 11, 2010 at 7:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks so good! Have bookmarked to try on one of these very cold Melbourne winter's nights.

Kylie G on September 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG YUM! This worked perfectly, thank you! I'll definitely be making it again.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on September 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I hav eto stop looking at your recipes ...drool is going to ruin my laptop.

Girly Pearlies on May 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have been making the AWW Basic Cook Book version of this for twenty years.... and it is divine - BUT i think this may be slightly ever so slightly different - so I think I may give it a try - oh, have you tried a butterscotch self saucing pudding? ....


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015