Thursday, July 23

RECIPE: My Nans' recipe for Lemon Butter the old fashioned way...




My Nan shared with me her lemon butter recipe (and even wrote it out, don't you love her writing!?) and it's not a microwave shortcut like Court's recipe but it's yummy! Just because I can't do anything by the rules, and Court's recipe was a passion fruit lemon butter and at the time I didn't have any passion fruit - this is my Nan's recipe for lemon butter and I've varied it to make lemon passion fruit butter.

My Nan used to make lemon butter when I was young, and it was never in the family fridge for long. We would devour it. It's great to have this recipe and now make it for my family!

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water (substitute this for passion fruit pulp if making lemon/passion fruit butter)
2 tablespoons lemon zest
125gr butter, chopped into cubes


Method:
Mix eggs, juice and sugar together in a glass bowl and then place over simmering water (double boiler style).

When sugar is dissolved, add pulp/water, zest and stir.

Add butter 1/4 of quantity at a time until melted, add the next quarter and so on, keep stirring.
Simmer for a further 15 minutes, or until the butter sticks to back of spoon.

Take off the saucepan, and leave to cool for 20 minutes.

Pour into sterilised jars, then refrigerate for up to 1 month.

Serve on toast, bread or use as filling for cakes.

I will forgive and even encourage you if you eat it with a spoon! :)

Print this post in friendly format

26 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on July 23, 2009 at 12:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, yumminess! Nan's recipes are the best. Imagine those in little tarlets - topped with a dollop of cream... I've had serious lemon cravings lately, I think this'll soothe them

this jen day on July 23, 2009 at 1:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ooh yum yum! Liss, every time I read your blog I have to immediately go and eat!!! Delicious delicious stuff :)
Jenx

Gabrielle on July 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yum, I never realised lemon butter was so easy to make! Must put it on my list.

Irene ~ RE~VINTAGED on July 23, 2009 at 2:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh,Ah,Ah! Lemon Butter!!!
Just one of my most favourite things in the world!!!!!
MmmmmmMmmmmMMMMMMM!
Thank you to your gran and to you too for the recipe :) And if I make it it will be ALLLL for me as no-one else will eat it in my house ;)
Irene x

Kirrily on July 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for sharing Liss!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on December 9, 2009 at 5:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I can absolutely vouch for this butter's moreish deliciousness! ;)

Jen on July 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is awesome, I made some yesterday and after trying different recipes for lemon butter, I will be making this one again! Thanks

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmm this looks delicious, and I just love the hand written recipe.
Thank you for sharing, I will be making it next week!

helloally on August 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ooooomg thats like my nans writing for the famous "family christmas pud".. i feel honoured that i was the only grandchild she gave it to for years ... hehe ...

Kelli on August 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

was given a bucket of lemons and wondered what to do. Thought I would make lemon butter and your grans post came up at the right time :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Best LB recipe I have found - makes just over two jars. Have you ever tried doubling up??

Liss on January 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Anonymous
Yes, I do double it when I need to make a big batch for friends/family but as it doesn't have a really long shelf life, it's best done in these quantities for a few jars :)

Unknown on June 18, 2014 at 11:49 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

just made it. beautiful. tasted just like my nanna's. so easy. thanku for sharing.

Unknown on July 16, 2014 at 1:14 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just made it. First time ever! Turned out fantastic! Going to put it in little tart cases and make a merengue with blow torch on top and take them to the hospital tomorrow for morning tea. My husbands mother is not well and tells me she is going to make lemon butter when she gets home, but she won't be going home :( I thought it would brighten her day :)

MargaretP on August 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yum, I remember my old Nan making this, it was awesome.
The hand written recipe says 2 teaspoons of rind and your typed recipe says 2 Tablespoons, can you say which is correct please? as I would like to make this.

Liss on August 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Margaret
Hi Margaret - it's really personal taste - how 'lemony' you would like it - try 2 tsp and if you would like it more lemony add more :)

Liss on August 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Margaret
Hi Margaret - it's really personal taste - how 'lemony' you would like it - try 2 tsp and if you would like it more lemony add more :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Suzy said.... Have made lemon butter before,it wasn't a patch on this recipe. It is so delicious you can eat it with a spoon straight from the jar.Granny's,Grandma's,Nan's have some real easy tasty recipes.I'm so glad they are more than happy to share them

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for sharing, yummy and so simple to make.

Unknown on July 24, 2015 at 11:40 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this at the start of "lemon season" and have made several batches since with everybody who was gifted a jar absolutely loving it and then bags of lemons started arriving from friends and family with hints of their love of lemon butter. I'm (well maybe your nan) is a hit. I have just made a double batch and it worked well. My only complaint is that after bottling my butter I can't resist ..... Licking the bowl, spoon and I have even scraped it off a tea towel. Absolutely beautiful (and easy). Thanks.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have been trying to decipher when you actually add the 1/2 cup of lemon juice. Is it when yo add the water or with the eggs and sugar? The recipe above doesn't state it and I've tried to work it our from your gran's recipe.

Unknown on August 1, 2015 at 3:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

When i juice oranges I place the pulp into a large saucepan and cover
with cold water and bring boil about 15 muites and then place the pulp into a bowl
over cold water when cold put back into juice machine 2 to 3 times to make a paste then put 50/50 pulp and oranges to measure to the the recipe to make
orange butter

Unknown on December 3, 2015 at 12:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi sounds great
Can I use limes instead I have heaps
Thanks,
Mere male

Liss on January 1, 2016 at 9:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Rod Leach You certainly can!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thank you for the recipe. I only made 1/2 batch to taste test...definitely a double batch being made next time...just like old days

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG, thankyou for an easy to follow recipe, that actually works! This is absolutely delicious, yum, yum, yum!!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015