Tuesday, June 2

Stay at home Mums - Job, vocation or what?



In the career days I took my job very seriously, and I must admit am a little competitive, mostly with myself. I want to do the best job I can, receive positive (and at times negative) feedback, work on improving my skills, my relationships and be appreciated of my contribution.

I've been pondering as I go about my daily chores or washing, tidying, cleaning, preparing meals, organising and the child related tasks like dressing, feeding, refereeing - should I be treating this more like a job? Do I already? Should I expect to?

I get a bit put out if my meals aren't complimented, get annoyed with hubby when no mention is made of the miracle that vacuuming, mopping and dusting an entire house with three young kids in it all day.. having dinner on the table - you know the things I aim to do - the only person really giving me praise is.. umm. ME. Maybe someone else if I have an unexpected visitor, that kind of thing. Fact is, I like my house clean, tidy.

I take personal pride in it. It annoys me when it's not. Mind you there are many things on the list that don't get done but they are things like window washing and cupboard cleanouts.. I don't iron..at. all.

The compensation in my 'job' at home is our health, and my happiness..goodness knows there's no money in it! Many other Stay at Home Mums do this everyday.. what is my problem? I think I need an attitude adjustment or should just dream we can get our cleaner back.

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Katy on June 2, 2009 at 12:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I get you. It is such a thankless job, and unless you're somewhat motivated from within, one that is hard to keep doing -week in, week out.

When you go to special lengths to make a special (or time consuming) meal, and don't hear any feedback, or that the floors are sparkling, and for no one to notice (except to spill something all over it and you have to redo it!).

Elisa on June 2, 2009 at 9:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yep, being a SAHM is the most thankless job on planet earth!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015