Wednesday, June 10

See my heavenly scrolls!



I got this recipe from my mate Katy over at Mama Kat. She makes her scrolls with apple and cinnamon which I tried and enjoyed immensely. Unfortunately within hours of them coming out of the oven, my hungry hoards had devoured them!

This time I made a double mixture - which gave me roughly 30 mini-scrolls.
Now, if you want to make less - use Katy's recipe here

This is the one I'm using from here on in, because I like to make some freeze in lots of 2 for hubby's morning tea, 4 for me and the kids for afternoon tea or 5 for days in the car (like we're doing on Saturday to Farmgate).

Ingredients
5.5 cups self-raising white flour (use wholemeal if you wish)
2 tbs dried yeast, (2 x 7g sachet)
4 tbs caster sugar
100 g Weight Watchers Canola Spread (use regular butter if you wish)
1 cup skim milk, warmed (again, use regular milk if you wish)
1 cup buttermilk*
*buttermilk substitute can be 'made' at home by putting 1 tb white vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup and filling with regular milk. Let sit for 5 mins then use in your recipe.
Method:
Put flour, sugar and yeast in a bowl and stir, make a well in the centre.

Heat your milk in the microwave until warm, and melt your butter/margarine/spread.

Add milks that and the butter into the well and stir in until well combined.

Put on kitchen bench and knead for 10 minutes or until the dough has an elastic consistency. (I only needed to do it for about 4-5 mins)

Put in clean glass bowl, cover with glad wrap and sit in a warm place (I put mine on outdoor table in winter sun) for about an hour or until it doubles in size.
Preheat oven to 200deg C.
Roll out your dough to a long oblong shape. Mine was about 40cm x 10cm. Position lengthwise and ensure it's floured underneath.

Put your filling on the bottom part of dough, leaving 2 inches at the top.
When your filling is done, roll from the bottom and slightly wet the top 2 inches to help seal the roll.

Cut into 10 pieces (serrated knife works best) and place on greased baking tray about 1cm apart in 2 rows
Bake for about 15 mins or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before separating.
Suitable to freeze

Fillings:

There are many variations - spinach and ricotta, pizza, strawberry jam and shredded coconut, caramel - I will be trying these down the track!

Katys' Apple/Cinnamon - does roughly 50% of above mix.
2 medium apples, (red), cored, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup brown sugar

(mix together and distribute)


Liss' ham cheese and mayo - does approx 1/3 of dough mix
1/4 cup grated tasty cheese
10 slices thin sliced processed ham (or any ham you like!)
2 tb Mayonnaise
6 leaves of basil, torn roughly
2 sprigs of oregano torn roughly

(Arrange in layers on dough in above order. When rolled, spray with canola oil and season with pepper and salt.)
Cheesymite - does approx 1/4 of dough mix

1/4 cup grated cheese
2 tb vegemite.
(spread vegemite, sprinkle cheese)

Print this post in friendly format

10 lovely comments:

Nat said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

im so making these tonight Liss!
They look YUMMMMMMMMMMO!
Nat :)

Alycia on June 10, 2009 at 7:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

They look pretty goodo!!!!

:)

Grace on June 10, 2009 at 8:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You always make me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hungry!! Maybe it's a good thing we don't live next to each other, otherwise I'll be making excuses to pop by all too often just to devour your food ;)

Amanda on June 10, 2009 at 10:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

fantastic - another recipe to add to the list for school recess baking ! thanks liss/katy !

Nikki on July 18, 2009 at 9:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My mouth is watering Liss. These look amazing. Cross your fingers for me - I hope mine turn out as delicious as yours....

Veronica on October 5, 2010 at 9:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

you make this sound so easy and look so yummy.

You are so clever!!

virginia on March 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

these look fab as well :)

Jodie Ansted on May 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Nom. I'm loving your ham & mayo ones.

My sister makes the cheesymite ones. I think she made some with the 4yo one day.

Maybe that's a project the 4yo and I can do together soon. :)

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on May 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

mmm you make me hungry too.

I made cinnamon scrolls and 'end'ed up eating most of them myself ---> needed a variety of fillings. Now I am all set for lunch tomorrow.

MY boys will love helping me and might eat them too if they cook them.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on May 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

PS I saw a tip somewhere when cutting to use a piece of thread - wrap it around and cross it over - makes a nice neat cut .

Making these now !


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015