Sunday, June 7

Ricotta cheese - put it in the 'ridiculously easy to make' category!


Now I had my reservations.

Making cheese? Won't it take ages? Won't it stink up the house? Do I need to put an extra room in the house to store it?

The answer is really easy - if you can boil milk, you can make ricotta cheese. It's really, really, ridiculously easy. Why oh why have I been spending $3.50 for 250gr of ricotta on at least a fortnightly basis when I can make it now for $4.10 for 700grams almost whenever I want?

Good thing about fresh ricotta is you can freeze it too - so if you use it every now and then, chuck it in some ziplock bags and into the freezer - this recipe will keep in the fridge for a week.

Ingredients:
  • 16 cups full fat or skim milk (I don't know the results with skim, I'll let you know next time!)
  • 1.5 teaspoons citric acid (you can find this in the supermarket with bicarb soda and cream of tartar)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (I used uniodised salt but you can use table salt)
Extra apparatus
  • Fine cheesecloth (you can buy this online from cheesemakers or at spotlight!) - around 60x60cm
  • Cooking thermometer that goes to 100deg c of 200deg F.

Method:
In a clean stainless steel stockpot, combine all ingredients.
Put on the stove and start to boil -stir a few times (not a lot) to keep the curds from sticking to the bottom.

When the milk gets to about 95 degrees C (195F) the milk will curdle and separate. Turn off the heat and let sit for 15 mins.

Then drain through cheesecloth on strainerLeave for about 15 -20 mins until the curds become the 'wetness' you desire. Transfer to airtight container and store in the fridge.Ricotta cheese is yummy in Bills Hotcakes (which incidentally I made this morning and added extra egg yolk corn cut off 1 cob and some chives - delicious), Beef Ravioli, Pumpkin Tortellini, Skinny Salmon and Potato Bake and Cannelloni - looooads of stuff!
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That does look super easy! I might have to try that the next time I make lasagna!!

Sharon on June 10, 2009 at 8:45 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I need to see if my supermarket carries citric acid. Does lemon juice work in a pinch?

Liss on June 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Lemon juice or Vinegar (1/4 cup) would work, but I think it affects the yield by about 20%.

Summer on June 11, 2009 at 1:03 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Fabulous! I am going to try this!

Alycia on August 3, 2009 at 9:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Have you made it with skim milk yet? How'd it go??


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015