Saturday, May 2

Pasta Paradise..


I love making my own pasta - it's really therapeutic.. mixing your dough with your hands, moving it through the pasta machine, concocting new fillings, seeing a dish come to life... ahh love it.


So I made Tortellini for the first time. It's really just a variation of ravioli and much easier than I thought. basically all you do is grab diagonal ends of the ravioli and join them. It makes the tortellini shape.

The filling I roasted a small-ish butternut pumpkin (or squash) and mixed it with 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan and 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese and some fresh cracked pepper.


I didn't make as much filling as I would have liked (for future reference need a large butternut) so I had some pasta leftover.. so made some fettuccine for my sister. For the first time I used my spaghetti/spaghetti attachment for my pasta maker - how cool is it. Will definitely be using it again, need to look into how long you need to dry pasta for because I would love to make it up in bulk or my pasta recipe would need to be halved.



Next on my list is to make gnocchi and then I'm going to make stab at flavouring my pasta - i.e. spinach/pumpkin.
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

laura schenone on May 3, 2009 at 9:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You can freeze pasta nicely on a cookie sheet. Then when it is frozen it stays well in plastic bags in freezer. If you want to dry it, it's great if you have a cool porch where it can get air. You have to hang it, put it on a mesh frame, or just turn it so that all sides can get air dried. Some people get squeamish about the raw egg dried in the pasta and stored in the pantry but I don't. Nice post.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015