Monday, June 15

Moroccan Pumpkin Cous Cous


I got this recipe from SuperFoodIdeas this month - mostly because I needed a quick recipe to use some pumpkin and make an emergency lunch for my hubby to take to work. This ticked both boxes but was totally unprepared for how yummy it was going to be. He loved it too! (always a bonus!)

Ingredients:
1/2 butternut pumpkin (so about 500grams nett)
1 red onion
canola spray
1 cup cous cous
1 cup chicken stock or powdered stock in 1 cup water
420gr tin of chickpeas
2 tb morroccan spice or use my recipe for it here - you may already have the ingredients:

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 deg c
Chop pumpkin into 1cm square-ish pieces, and onions into largish wedges. Place on baking tray and spray with canola oil until well covered.
Sprinkle seasoning and mix with hands to well cover all pumpkin and onion
Bake in oven until cooked, but not sloppy.
meanwhile..
boil your stock in a microwave proof bowl. (about 2.5 mins on high). Add cous cous and leave for a few minutes whilst the cous cous absorbs the stock. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the cous cous. Chop the coriander (cilantro) (I just cut mine with scissors!) roughly and add, stir through.
Finally add the cooked pumpkin and onion for a final stir through.
Delicious!

Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You know, I should actually give this a go but I can see the look on my kids face's when I put that dish in front of them - would it be worth the screaming and gnashing of teeth?!? *(they don't even eat casseroles the ungrateful shi...I mean, naughty poppets)

But it looks and sounds SO good, I might make it just for myself.

p.s good on you for doing a shopping budget and meal planner, I could actually take a leaf out of your book. I'm always struggling with money. x


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015