Tuesday, June 16

This is a tough gig


I was lamenting to my hubby last night the kids are really taking it out of me (yes it was only Monday!) and life was much easier when I went to work. It's not that I don't like being at home with the girls, I love spending time with them but I'm suffering from a lack on intellectual stimulation. At work, I'm used to organising people in many different directions, solving problems, planning ahead and dealing with risk assessments and the occasional (or depending on the project many) disaster.

Here's it's similar - organising our little ladies in breakfast, lunch, dinner, clothes, showers PJ's, solving arguments and answering many questions, planning playdates and activities, working out to precision timing how much washing I can get done today and still eat, and the not-so-occasional disaster of egos that is twin 3.5 years plus a 5 year old into the mix.

There is a distinct differences:
"They" don't listen here like they do at work.
"They" question my directions more often here, and never with anything that actually challenges me beyond that of my temper
I get paid in hugs and kisses and I love yous more than that payslip you don't really look at.

I've come to the conclusion that I need something for me. I don't know what it is yet, but I need something. I don't want something that will make my life more hectic. Part-time work in my industry just is a fantasy at present and I don't see myself over a potters' wheel or yoga class. Not.me.at.all. Don't have money for retail therapy.

I think maybe a day at home to myself - ask Hubby to take the kids somewhere for 1/2 a day every/second weekend? I could sew, I could sleep. I could foreseeably get my runaway eyebrows under control. I just miss the alone time - just the hour each way commute to and from work to have the 'vege out' to just think things through without interruption.

I think I'm going to see what he thinks, he was sympathetic last night... might have to 'return the favour' though... it could work.?

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Bee on June 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think that sounds like a great idea. Sometimes I need to get out by myself on the weekends too and will head down to Westfield to do some shopping (or more accurately to do some laybying), or just go for a drive or whatever. Anything to get out of the house. Sometimes I'll ask Adam to take the boys over to his sisters for a playdate as well just so I can get some things done and spend some alone time in the house. It's a nice break for me.

PinkPatentMaryJanes on June 16, 2009 at 1:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Absolutely. Time just to be you and do whatever on earth you want is essential. Ask away, I'm sure he'll be amenable - and it'll be so good for their relationship too. x

Katy on June 16, 2009 at 2:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I hear you Liss, I'm on the same wavelength!! I made a few changes last year, and you'd probably notice the difference it's made in me. "me" time is so precious, but something that Mums put last, but need to put first. Happy Mum, happy house and all of that.

It's perfect to ask Adam to spend a half day with the girls on the weekend - he can look forward to his special time too, and planning what he'll do with them, be it a trip to the park, a drive to the beach or whatever. It doesn't have to cost anything. And you could watch a DVD. On. Your. OWN!

greenfumb on June 16, 2009 at 7:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Everyone needs time to themselves, even mothers, and I think if you have twins you might need it even more.

I don't know if you like exercising or not but when my kids were little like yours I joined our local council leisure centre in London. It had a creche, a pool and a cafe so I used to stay there all morning have time to myself. Mind you it was much cheaper than the gyms here because it was a service.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015