Monday, June 15

Meal-plan Monday - debut!


Yes, I've decided to mealplan. For 2 reasons - to stop wastage. I try very hard to use everything we buy or freeze it/preserve it until we eat it but we're on a pretty tight budget for this month so I decided I would give the mealplan a go. I had reservations as I like to let the ingredients of the mood inspire me when I'm cooking... but I have just tried to inject a few new things into the menu this month instead... I can look forward to those and get imaginative with snacks/baking instead.
So last Thursday night I stayed up quite late, planning the meals then deriving a shopping list from that mealplan.
This week:

Tuesday - Meatloaf and chat potatoes wth a twist
Wednesday - Cheaty Salmon Broccoli Quiche and garlic brussel sprouts
Thursday - Slow Cooker Lamb Curry (new recipe!)
Friday - Homemade Lasagne
Saturday - Homemade Hamburgers
Sunday - Gnocchi

Baking: Pumpkin Scones, Weetibix Slice
So I've got one fish and one veggo meal this week. I usually would have a chicken too but I've been struggling to find decent chicken recipes using breast that isn't terribly fattening or a stir-fry. I do have some chicken in my meal plan in other weeks but meh. I also like to have another veggo meal in the week but the fact is my hubby loves his meat and can cope with more veggo when it's warmer... So 5 red meat, 1 veggo and 1 fish.
Wish me luck!

Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Amanda on June 15, 2009 at 9:16 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hey liss, i couldn't get by without a mealplan. well done! what's your grocery budget this week?

Liss on June 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We have a monthly budget of $930. We did our monthly meat and main veg shop plus bulk grocery shop on the weekend.

So I divide that by the no of weeks in this month = 199.75

If I divide this monthly shopping by the same amount - so far I have spent: 140.96... not bad!

ginchyworld on June 15, 2009 at 6:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've got a great recipe for a chicken and lentil curry that you could use breast for and isn't expensive, since you can bulk it out with more lentils if you need to. Remind me to look it out for you.

Your meal plan looks ace.

Jess on June 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ok.. I am officially inspired. I am starting a meal plan too! Love that you are all so organised!

Aneets on June 15, 2009 at 11:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am on day 1 of meal planning and am excited about it as well.

The amount of food I throw away because we haven't used it is just silly and wasteful.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015