Sunday, May 17

Gnocchi from thine own hands!


Yes! Something I've wanted to do for aaaages. I have no idea why I have taken so long to do it. Friday 2.30pm I decided to do it, I had potatoes to use!
It's a little messier than expected, but not hard to clean up and there are breaks in the preparation to do so!!
Ingredients

  • 900g of peeled starchy potatoes (I used russet) weighed after peeling

  • 2 egg yolks

  • approx 1.5 cups of tipo 00 flour (you could regular flour I guess!?)

  • 2 pinches salt.

  • good lashing of pepper
Method:
Wash potatoes, then dry, then steam until soft.
Mash finely, turn out onto floured surface
Add 1 egg yolk and 3/4 cup of flour, combine
Add remaining egg and enough flour so it goes into a smooth, silky dough
Cut into 6 even-ish pieces.
Roll each piece on floured surface and then slice into gnocchi size portions (roughly 1 inch)give a little roll and press with back of fork. Put onto floured plate, ensuring none of the gnocchi touch.
Boil stockpot of water
Drop half the prepared gnocchi in one by one, when they rise to the top, take and drain with slotted spoon and drop into your simmering sauce.

When all first batch are done, do the second batch.


I served mine with napoletana sauce (1 finely diced onion, sliced garlic, 1 tb olive oil, basil, oregano, 2 420g tins crushed tomatoes, slosh of red wine, 1.5 cups of water and a tablespoon of tomato paste) and finely grated Parmesan on top.
Bon Apetit!
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Krysbrem on May 17, 2009 at 1:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG would you believe Liss I attempted to make this just this week! let's just say mine never made it to the actual eating stage, well it did for the dogs LOL

Liss on May 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh no! What happened? Did you use the same/similar recipe?

Katy on May 18, 2009 at 7:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, I'd love to give this ago. How would you store/freeze it?

Liss on May 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

With regards to storage, I would either:

Cook it in the sauce, then freeze or
ensure there is liberal flour on every side of the gnocchi and store it in tupperware in layers with freezer plastic/bags between each layer. I might give that a go myself. Kris gave me a good 2kg russetts last night from her leftovers of the leftover Masterchef stuff! lol

Liss on May 18, 2009 at 7:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh meant to add Katy, these would be pretty good points wise - I worked out these are the nutritional details (with sauce)

Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 490.7
Total Fat: 7.9 g
Cholesterol: 106.9 mg
Sodium: 1,165.8 mg
Total Carbs: 93.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.1 g
Protein: 12.9 g


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015