Sunday, May 31

Don't say I didn't warn you..


This post could result in increased visits to the dentist.
It could put you in the kitchen far more often than you like.
It could kill your diet.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Yesterday in preparation for Eloise's birthday party today (more on that later when I recover!) we made (well me with help of hubby) Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs. Oh...my.... gooodness.

Delicious? Off the scale
Addictive? Yes siree.
Easy? Too easy.

Now, if you're on a diet, shut down this page right now... because butter and sugar aren't really on the diet list but if you could possibly stop at a little, and incredible unfathomable willpower, well read on.

I read the initial recipe in taste.com.au - and a reader commented 'this is like crack for kids'. Too right it is!


I have modified the recipe mainly to give the right proportions and I had to make more toffee and you need a smidgeon more popcorn.....oh and I did it differently - of course - because I try to simplify where I can!

Ingredients:
2/3 cup of popping corn kernels
1 x 250g packet pecan nuts
1/4 cup of olive oil or vegetable oil
250grams butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups white sugar (granulated)
4 tb honey
Canola spray


Method:
Pop your corn in a frypan with a lid, if you've never popped corn before it's best to get your oil hot, then turn down the temperature slightly, add your corn put the lid on a slant so you are still letting air in, once it starts popping furiously, turn the heat down again 'til it's at half-strength and keep the lid on, shaking the pan to and fro to ensure no corn burns on the bottom. Good rule of thumb if you've heard nothing pop for 3 seconds, there's no more corn to be popped.

Grease some baking trays (preferably with a bit of a lip) with a light spray of canola oil and lay the popped popcorn on the trays. Chop your pecans roughly but in smallish pieces and scatter over the popcorn.


Melt your butter in saucepan and add honey, then the sugar, stir, keep on high and let it bubble/boil until all the sugar is dissolved, then turn down to a simmer and let it caramelise - takes about 4 minutes - you can tell it's caramelised if you get a teaspoon of mixture and dunk it in a glass of water. should turn to toffee.



At this stage you need to be quick turn it out on to your trays and then with two tablespoons, mix it about the popcorn and pecans, trying to get an even coverage, as the toffee starts to cool, then pat it down with your hands, and sweep uncovered popcorn into the middle of covered popcorn pressing down.

Leave to cool for about 10 minutes, try not to eat it all at this point (hard!!) and then break up and put into airtight container or ziplock bag.

Makes about 12 cups.
Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Kirrily on May 31, 2009 at 2:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You are evil Liss!!!! But I'll definitely be trying this next week before my sister's 80's party!

PinkPatentMaryJanes on May 31, 2009 at 6:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

No WAY! They talked about this on Talking 'Bout My Generation the other night and ever since my brain's been thinking mmmmm Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs {best name ever, btw} I couldn't justify hunting them down, but making them? Well, let's just say... ooooooh yeah! Thank you x

Teachermum on May 31, 2009 at 8:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love Lollygobble Bliss Bombs! I must not make this...

Shell on May 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Do I dare try to make these dairy free rofl?
Could you air pop the corn do you think?

Shell on May 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

p.s. Loving the new layout

Liss on May 31, 2009 at 8:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yep! Air-popped popcorn would be fine. I don't know whether nuttelex would make toffee? Possibly! LMK! ok?

Stephanie Appleton on June 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh my this sounds good!

Elisabeth on June 2, 2009 at 11:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I make this, too, except I use corn syrup. You are sooo right. You take one bite and then go to gobbling it down. Very addicting!

Pyrrh Pianissimo on June 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
Better Homemaking Network on June 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow. These look amazing. We have one more week of testing The Amazing Soup Diet, but I will be making this the very next day! I will use air-popped corn, and a touch of corn syrup to keep the sugar from crystallizing. I'm going to go poke around the rest of your blog!
- Pyrrh

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on April 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This sounds so divine ...I should have shut it down :)
Tomorrow I iz making.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG yum yum yum.
I remember eating this as a kid.......


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015