Wednesday, November 4

Summer Days: Milk Ices - vanilla and passionfruit



This is one of those 'mistakes' that actually turned out better than what I had originally planned.   Yesterday if you were in Sydney you would have been sweltering along with me in temperatures in the mid to high thirties - this would have hit the spot.


I learned we were going to have a temperature spike the night before so I hurriedly started preparing:
- Made Jelly
- Prepared some yoghurt
- Cooked rice for rice salad
- And thought I would give the custard method of making icecream a go.


The recipe I had was american and said to use 'half and half milk'.  In hindsight, that is actually half our full cream milk, and half cream.  I just used full cream milk - but you know what?  For a hot day, it was perfect.  It's like a milk-ice like the milky iceblocks of the 1970's.  I'm sure they'd be lower in fat too right?


It's really refreshing.  I will make again, and probably make them in iceblocks too.


Ingredients:
4 cups full cream milk
1 cup caster sugar
6 egg yolks
1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste
(Optional - pulp of two passionfruit)


Method
If using a vanilla bean, scrape vanilla from pod
In a saucepan, combine milk and caster sugar, vanilla and vanilla pod, simmer until lightly bubbling



Separate your eggs (I freeze my whites in a ziplock bag) and whisk egg yolks until smooth.



Add one cup of the hot milk mixture to the eggs and whisk until well combined
Put egg/milk mixture back into the pan and continue to simmer for about 5-6 minutes or until becomes custardy.



Put mix into bowl and cover with clingfilm directly onto mixture (stops it from developing a skin)



Chill COMPLETELY (I left mine overnight in the fridge)


Put into icecream maker and follow manufacturer instructions (mine churned for about 20 minutes)


Empty into airtight containers  - I split mine in two, then added passionfruit pulp to one...



Freeze for 3-4 hours.  Enjoy!
Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on November 4, 2009 at 8:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Milk ices are such a blast from the past! I really like them too, especially as ice block (for that total kid like nostalgia ;) )

Alycia on November 5, 2009 at 10:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What a brilliant idea to freeze them as iceblocks! I hadn't thought of that! Off to buy some!!!


If you want a fail safe custard based icecream recipe -

2 cups milk (i use the pura light start)
1/2 cup cream (i use low fat)
115gm caster sugar
5 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean

Bring to gentle boil then simmer the milk and cream. In the Whizz Bang Kitchen Genius Machine (kenwood for me, kitchen aid for you) beat the sugar and yolks. Then slowly add the milk mixture, while whisking. Return to saucepan and stir to a custard. Chill. Return to whizz bang and whisk till a bit creamy and volumised. Then into the churner (with violet crumble, oh yeah!), then back to the freezer until ready to eat.

Hasn't failed me yet so I'm up to experimental stage. I'm going to try it on the weekend with milk powder milk to check taste and also soy milk.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm hopeless making egg custards!
For ice cream/milk ices, is it going to work just as well, do you think, to make a custard with custard powder using your proportions of milk and sugar?

Unknown on January 15, 2014 at 8:39 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yum!!! I sooo need this today in Melbourne! Sounds absolutely delicious! xxx Lucy from Bake Play Smile

Liss on January 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You could absolutely use custard powder if you like!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Liss Klemke

Yep! It worked...

4 cups milk
1 cup castor sugar
4 tablespoons custard powder
1 can passionfruit pulp

Make the custard with half the milk, whisk in the remainder to speed cooling and add passionfruit. Chill in the fridge then into the icecream churn. Yum!

Liss on January 16, 2014 at 11:43 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Anonymous
Excellent! I'm going to try it with some raspberry puree on the weekend!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015