Tuesday, November 17

Chicken's in the bag!



I saw this recipe on Nigella: Feast the other night and knew IMMEDIATELY I was going to make it and make it soon.  It is the ultimate easy meal, but looks like it took you all day.  All the family devoured it, and in fact the kids asked when were having it again shortly after the dishes were done!

Ingredients:
1.5kg chicken pieces (I used drumsticks but use maryland, thighs with bone in etc)
1 large onion, cut into 8ths (I used 2 x halves of onions I had in fridge, red/brown)
1 tsp dried sage
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tsp hot english mustard
1 lemon
6 smoked chorizo sausages, thickly sliced  (Nigella uses italian sausages whole)
6 sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)

Method:
In a large strong ziplock bag, put in onions, mustard, dried sage, olive oil.
Juice lemon and then cut up rind into 8 pieces, add to bag
Squoosh it all up so it's combined, separating onions etc.


Add chicken, distribute marinade through bag, put into fridge overnight.


Approx 1.5 hours before you want to serve, preheat oven to 200 degrees c
Put chicken and marinade into large ovenproof dish


Add sausage, chorizo, nestle it inbetween the chicken pieces and cut the fresh sage and sprinkle over the top.
Bake for 45 minutes, take out of oven, turn chicken and chorizo, return to oven for a further 30 minutes.
Serve with salad/potatoes (I did diced roasted garlic potatoes and garden salad)





I marinaded on Sunday night - and let me give you the tip - 'You'll love Coles' large ziplock bags - I don't love them.  I had two break on me!! Grrr.  The great thing about this is it was a hot day today so I popped it in the oven at 3.45pm and went outside and hung out with the kids for 45 minutes, came inside, checked on dinner, made a salad, put it in fridge came back 15 minutes after that and dinner was done.  We ate outside - it was a great end to the day!
Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hey girl - frugalmama here!! how have you been? always count on you for great recipes :) talk soon - i've got back to twittering ......

Liss on November 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hey there YOU!

Was thinking about where in the www you were!!? Speak soon! xx

Kez said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, I love love love the sounds of this one! I'm just know I'm going to make it and make it soon too!

Penelope on February 25, 2010 at 8:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is in the oven as we speak...so easy and smells DIVINE! I added 1/2 jar of semidried tomatoes that were in the fridge from a different project, and got lazy and put my parboiled diced potatoes in the same dish...shall see how it goes...

Penelope on February 25, 2010 at 10:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Update: Got the seal of approval from both my girls too, and especially DH! Semidried tomatoes were a great addition!

Liss on February 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Woot Alissa! Glad to see it worked out a treat.. mmm sundried tomatoes! :P

Heather on February 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've got one in the fridge now. I've added a bit of sumac ( I actually wanted to put in smoked paprika/pimenton but couldn't find it) and garlic too.

I'm using a glad oven bag. They are great for marinading in and then you just put the whole bag in a tray, poke a couple of holes in the top and cook it in the bag too. No dish to wash up too!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015