Tuesday, November 10

Navarin of Lamb



I'm keen to start cooking more french meals and this one has ensured my family are right behind me.  This one   had them licking their bowls, I kid you not!  I'm off to see Julie and Julia this week so I'm sure this isn't the last french dish you see from me!

Navarin of lamb is a farmhouse type lamb stew - but it's the actual sauce and the way it all comes together that makes is so delicious.  Now I've made it once, I see it featuring monthly or so in our meal plan.

Ingredients:
800grams diced lamb
1 cup plain flour
2 tb olive oil
2 sticks celery, sliced diagonally
2 onions, diced
10-12 baby carrots or 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
10 baby chat potatoes, halved
6 sprigs fresh thyme
6 sprigs fresh continental parsley
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup red wine
1/4 cup tomato paste

Method
Peel carrots, cut all ingredients as directed (don't you love our carrots from the vegetable garden?!)

With 1/3 cup of flour a good slug of salt and pepper, pour into a ziplock or freezer bag, put lamb in with it, and toss until covered.

In a baking tray or dutch oven (I've used corningware dish) heat oil until hot over a hub on stove.  Shake off excess flour off lamb and brown in oil.
Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.

Then add onions, carrots, celery and potatoes, turn until onions are softened
Add thyme and parsley, toss until well combined.

Add remainder of flour, toss until well combined.
Add stock, wine and tomato paste



Put lid on, or foil to cover and  into the oven at 180 degrees c for 1 hour 20 hours


Serve with green beans or rice

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Katy on November 10, 2009 at 12:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! I have some lamb to use up in the freezer too. Looks like I need to have a week of Liss! :)

Karine on November 10, 2009 at 11:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It looks to ba an amazing way to use lamb! Thanks for sharing :)

Cando on July 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

this was delicious- lamb isn't cheap but a great meal! i wasn't sure what temp to put it on so i guessed 180 :-)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015