Wednesday, November 18

Jaffa Cupcakes



I need variety.  Crave it.  After the cupcake overload that was Pink Ribbon Month, I thought I'd like to make some orange cupcakes, then I changed my mind.  If you want to make orange cupcakes, don't use the cocoa/powdered chocolate and reduce the milk to 2-3tb ... but I looove these.   Not too sickly sweet and just the right amount of tang.


Ingredients:
250 grams butter, softened
zest and juice of one orange
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
2 cups self raising sugar
1/4 cup powdered chocolate/cocoa (I used cadburys' bourneville)
1/4 cup milk

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c
Put butter and juice/zest in mixer, mix until creamy

 Add sugar and eggs, and beat for about 2-3 minutes on high speed until fluffy

 Add flour, cocoa and milk and beat for another 2-3 minutes - mixture will be very fluffy - it's almost like mousse (at this point I had to really stop myself from sitting down at the telly with a bowl full of the mix!



 



Line muffin/cupcake pans with cupcake papers (I had 2 tins of 12 - made 24) and spoon a heaped tablespoon in each paper.

 Bake for 10-15, test with skewer after 10.

Cool and ice.

I iced with chocolate icing:
75grams dark cooking chocolate (I used greens)
50 grams butter
3/4 cup icing sugar

Method - melt chocolate in microwave - 1 minute on 50% power - stir, and then another minute at 50% power.  Remove, add butter and stir until melts in, sift in icing sugar and stir.  I spoon it onto the cupcakes so it oozes to the sides.  mmm!  You could garnish with candied orange peel - I have just piped with icing mixture made from sugar/water/food colour in a ziplock bag.
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Shell on November 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh I love you! You totally read my craving mind!
(In fact choc mint cupcakes I made for Pink Ribbon day, stemmed from Jaffa cupcake craving! Don't ask me how it got to choc mint from Jaffa!)

Linda H on May 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just made these for an Australia's Biggest Morning Tea event tomorrow. Naturally I sampled them... I overcooked them a little but they are so soft inside that it really didn't matter - a slightly crunchy outside but a lovely combo. I topped them with a single jaffa - they look great!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015