Wednesday, November 11

Vegetarian 'Rainbow' Lasagne





Those vegetarians out there, take heart!  My kids dubbed this 'Rainbow Lasagna'.  It might have had something to do with their obsessions about rainbows, but I'd like to believe it's because of the diverse colour of the produce in this lasagna.

When I made this, it made a large baking dish of lasagna and a smaller one.  So you could make 2 medium ones and freeze one - these can be made ahead so if you are catering for vegetarians or want a vegetarian option for any occasion.

I like to serve a vegetarian meal at least once a week, and I'm enjoying making my old favourites from the years I didn't eat meat, convincing my hubby, is a little less enjoyable, but I'm getting there!


Ingredients:
1.5 cups grated tasty cheese
1.5 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan
3 cups pasta sauce, bottled or home-made
1 packet of dried or fresh lasagne pasta, or make your own easily with this recipe
1/2 butternut squash or pumpkin, sliced in 5mm thickness
1 large kumera or sweet potato, slice din 5mm thickness
1 red onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic
6 roma tomatoes, sliced
1 eggplant (or I used 4 mini eggplant) sliced
4 small zucchinis sliced
3 stalks of fresh basil
3 stalks of fresh oregano
2 stalks of fresh continental parsley

Method:
Grease your trays and preheat your oven to 190 degrees c.
Prepare your ingredients - chopping, mincing etc.

Then arrange!
Layer of pasta, with butternut squash, 1/3 of the ricotta, 1/4 of tasty and mozzarella, a sprinkle of parmesan and garlic and sprinkle of oregano, basil and parsley - plus season with pepper and salt.



Then add a layer of pasta,  Layer of eggplant, red onion and again,  1/3 of the ricotta, 1/4 of tasty and mozzarella, a sprinkle of parmesan and garlic and sprinkle of oregano, basil and parsley - plus season with pepper and salt.

Next layer, add pasta, zucchini, sliced tomatoes, sweet potato, and  remainder of the ricotta, 1/4 of tasty and mozzarella, a sprinkle of parmesan and garlic and sprinkle of oregano, basil and parsley - plus season with pepper and salt.



Then, pour your pasta sauce on top, before adding the last layer, pasta, remainder of tasty and mozzarella, a sprinkle of Parmesan then if you like, leave it plain or I've topped it with cherry tomatoes and other times I've put vegetarian bacon.. plus  of course season with pepper and salt.




Cover with aluminimum foil and bake for 75 minutes.  Take off aluminium foil, and bake for further 15 minutes.


Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Katy on November 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks yummy!!!

Rose on November 11, 2009 at 1:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my, please can you adopt me :) Your lamb recipe had me drooling, and this vege lasagne is right from my heart... I so can't wait to try this out, my kids are going to love it.

Karine on November 11, 2009 at 2:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Amazing way to use squash! :)

Unknown on November 13, 2009 at 7:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hey Melissa, my husband is a chef, he has worked with Gordan Ramsey and in some of the best restaurants in London...and I am STEALING this recipe!! NOW let's see who's the chef in this family!!
-x-

Liss on November 13, 2009 at 7:38 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks everyone!

Jess, in my experience he will be STOKED that someone is cooking for him! Hope it works out lovely for you xxx


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015