Sunday, November 15

Ahhh Sunday...



Hi everyone - hope your weekend has been all you've wanted and more.  We've had a busy one here!

Yesterday morning I spent a few hours pawning selling tickets to our local Gingerbread House Making night our playgroup is putting on (any sydneysiders want to come? Click here for info!).  Then we headed off to the farmgate trail.

I love farmgate, although it is a good hour to drive to get there, it's inspiring to be at the origins of your food.  Driving through the paddocks of pumpkins, sweetcorn, tomatoes....  At Riverview produce,  much is in abundance this time of the year which also makes it cheaper, and has my head reeling in all the wonderful things I can make for less.

Examples - Granny Smith Apples $1.20 a kilo.   Pink Lady and Red Delicious Apples $1.95 a kilo (I swear I left with about 5 kilos of apples!)  Lemons and oranges $1.50 a kilo.  Fully grown basil plants $1 each... Farm fresh eggs $4 for 2.5 dozen (I got 5 dozen) Silverbeet 70c bunch, homegrown carrots $1 a kilo (bought a few to allow our carrots to get a bit bigger) lots, lots more.

The most exciting discovery that our butcher is on next seasons' Masterchef!  Its' status as the best kept secret of butchery heaven is about to change.   M&A Butchery I've posted about before, they are Sydneys' only butcher with an abbatoir attached.  Real old school, cattle does not have to travel in various trucks for hours or days, it literally is 200m from paddock to counter.  That makes a lot of difference to quality and also price.  I popped in close to closing time yesterday and wanted some yearling blade steak (always on special at 2kg for $12) but there was none left... so they cut it off a carcass out the back for me... can't get fresher than that can you:?  If you are going to head out, take an esky and some icebricks/ice like we do.

We also stopped off at Parklea Markets. I haven't been there for decades I realised, I forgot how big it is! We went in search for Christmas lights (my hubby has a bad addiction to those!) but I ended up leaving with my Christmas pudding steamer and some other kitchen nick-nacks.  Then we got lost trying to find the right exit where our car was!  That's not a lot of fun in the heat!

Last night we had a BBQ dinner outside as it started to cool down and when the kids went to bed I made a pav and some little christmas treaties, will share with you on Friday as part of lead up to Christmas 'Festive Friday' series.

Today I think will be a bit of washing and some gardening.. meal planning for next week....

How's your weekend going?  What's the plan for today?
Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015