Monday, November 2

Pretty gobsmacked actually...




This afternoon we needed to pick up a few essentials/staples/quick stuff and went down the local Aldi that's just opened up.  I thought I'd grab some oven fries for the kids and some frozen peas/corn/carrot medley.
So now since I've gone on the Slow Food Movement cause - I thought just out of habit I'd check where they were made.  New Zealand.  The Netherlands.  France.  Not one packet of frozen vegetables or chips were Australian.  Not.one.

I was perplexed.  Was I the only one who thought Aldi was focussing on Australian product?  I think I was living in la-la-land.

I did the only thing I could do.  I put them back.  I got fresh broccoli and beans, which actually I should have done in the first place, I just wasn't thinking.
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Mummy said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Next is to find out where the fresh product came from. You'd be surprised

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It's pretty horrible actually when you read just where our things come from - stuff that I'm sure our Aussie farmers do and would grow if they had a chance in the market. I know that cloves of garlic come all the way from China...and some brands of oranges and tomato are from America. It seems crazy to me!

Claire on November 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aldi's fresh fruit and vegies come from Australia but the packaged goods are just like all the others, some yes some no unfortunatly.

Katy on November 3, 2009 at 1:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yes, it's pretty hit and miss!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015