Friday, November 20

Festive Friday - Meringue wreaths


Wow I'm late today! Told you I was a busy buzzy bee! (who watches too much Fairies!)

This idea actually just popped in my head recently so it was a bit of an experiment.  After making icecream I was left with many eggwhites, enough for 2 pavlovas... so I made one pavlova and decided with the other half of the mixture I would make these meringues.  I have noted the recipe below would be exclusively for meringues.

They are light and a bit chewy on the inside, would look great glistening under some fairy lights.  I've decorated with cachous and chocolate, but you could do it with jelly-tots mini raspberries or even hundreds and thousands.


Ingredients:
4 egg whites, at room temperature
half a lemon
250 grams caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar



Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees


wipe bowl and beater with inner of half a lemon (this ensures there's no oil or residue left on there and ensures whites beat to their full potential)


Whip whites until form soft peaks, add sugar, corn flour and white wine vinegar until white and glossy (the sugar absorbed into the egg whites).  Add food colouring if you wish and whisk through.


Trace some circles on tracing paper and line your baking trays.


With a piping bag or a ziplock bag if you don't have one, fill with the meringue, add your tip or cut a corner off.   Pipe around the circles as closely as you can... it will need to be at least about 1 inch thickness for it to stay together.


Add cachous, or 100's and 1000's if you wish.


Before putting in the oven, turn down to 150 degrees, then put into the over for about 25 min.


Let completely cool on trays.   Decorate with bows or edible glitter if you wish.
I iced with melted dark chocolate (75g) with a tb of butter mixed in (it dissolves)
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on November 23, 2009 at 6:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

They look great.

I am not sure that I could pipe that well though. I made cupcakes on the weekend and the piping looked like poop, and people weren't afraid of telling me either!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015