Wednesday, November 4

Do you donate blood?



My hubby went to the local blood bank today, I'm so proud of him.  I would love to, however I lived in the UK though the mad cow disease epidemic (yeah, yeah, go on, make jokes!) and I cannot.  This makes me sad. They have no idea how long it stays dormant so that's me, wiped off the 'able to give blood' list for the conceivable future.

Tomorrow, marks two years since some wonderful doctors and equally wonderful blood donors saved my life.   I had a fairly what we thought routine procedure have some unexpected results where I almost hemorrhaged to death.  I lost 5 litres of blood on the operating table and had blood pressure of 60/40.  Not good.  Over the course of the operation and the days that followed I had numerous, numerous transfusions that helped me on the road to recovery.

So to those who give blood, thank you.  You make it possible for Mums like me to see my girls grow up.

If you can donate blood, give it a go.


Did you know:  
Blood can only be stored for up to five days
In Australia, 30,000 more women than men donate blood.  However twice as many men are repeat donors.
Statistically, 1 in 3 people will need donated blood in their lifetime, however only 1 in 30 donate.

To find out where your nearest Australian Red Cross collection centre is click here
If you work, you may even be able to organise a blood drive?  You don't have to contribute money to do an act of good will!
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on November 4, 2009 at 5:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I do. Although I have the slowest pumping blood in the world. I've taken my daughter along a few times so she sees it as a normal thing to do. I haven't been this year though - every time I plan it I get a cold. Don't have one now though so think I'll pop along tomorrow - thanks for the reminder!

Katy on November 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I do, every 3 months! And I'm on the bone marrow registry list too (think I blogged about it a while ago).

Am a common blood type, but so glad to finally be able to donate regularly again after 5 years of either being pregnant or breast feeding!

Vicki on November 4, 2009 at 8:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have always wanted to donate blood, I know they want my blood I am A- and have never been out of Australia... its not that I am scared of needles I did fertility treatment after all its just the SIZE of the needle that terrifies me!

greenfumb on November 4, 2009 at 9:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We all lived in the UK during mad cow mania so none of us are welcome. Seems a shame but what can we do.

Danielle on November 4, 2009 at 10:48 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thank for the reminder....its been 4 months since my last one, and I think its time to organise another group donation with work!

Nothing more fun than competing with your colleagues as to who can donate quickest!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015