Wednesday, July 1

My problem with the word 'and'...


The great thing about my 3.5 year old girls Olivia and Laura - they can really articulate what they want, what the issue is and we're getting better at sorting issues out between the them and others because there's less squealing, pointing and carrying on.. well mostly - but these days they can tell me what happened using their words so we can sort out a solution.

But at 3.5 years and this articulation there is an issue. The word 'and'.

The girls have discovered it in a big way and now a series of questions/discussion is now a saga of 3 minute monologues all connected with the word 'and'.

AND may I add, they are usually doing this simultaneously so I cannot follow what either them, nor their older sister is saying to me at times because they haven't mastered the art of a few bits of information condensed or waiting their turn (Oh when does THAT happen again?).

So it tends to get a bit out of control at times because they get frustrated they aren't getting 'heard'. We're working on it.

Funnily enough I'm not the only one with bleeding ears. Yesterday we went on a big busride and Laura was sitting with me and behind me were Olivia and Eloise quietly chatting. Laura however went on with one of the abovementioned monologues and the bloke in front of us (about 50-ish tradie type) ended up leaning forward in his seat because clearly she was being quite painful! I kept asking her to be quiet because the busdriver needed to concentrate. She obeyed. For about 2.088 seconds - deep breath and start again. I'm sure he was thanking his lucky stars when we got off the bus!
Here I was thinking she might need speech therapy! I don't think so!

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on July 1, 2009 at 7:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The conversations are so constant, aren't they? I quite often tune out and find myself subconciously partaking in the convo, when the other half is clearly asleep. It's an art!

FRANNIE on July 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh I remember those days :). My son didn't speak (at all) until he was 2-1/2. I remember saying please, please say something.

AND then he did. And he hasn't shut up since. Laugh. That was 11 years ago.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015