Saturday, July 11

Honey-Orange Dairy Free Layer Cake



Well I have to make a confession - I didn't make this as a layer cake and the original recipe I have doesn't either but there's a lot of cake there and I think it would be PERFECT as a layer cake. I'm going to make it again with a cream filling and honey glaze.

How I made these cakes was one for a playgroup Mum who is a single Mum and has no family nearby - she's got two kids and an aupair and they've all been sick for over a week. I thought a dairy free cake would be a good solution - even better with some vitamin C and some honey to soothe the throat.

The taste of this cake is mellow and warm - the honey does that but not in the sweet way the passionfruit honey cake does.

The other reason is of course - my birthday cake - yep, it's a bit wrong when you need to make your own birthday cake - but meh - I wouldn't want a bought one!

Ingredients:
2½ cups self raising flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup white sugar
½ cup honey
½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
4 eggs
Rind and Juice of 3 oranges

Method:
Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fanforced) or 190 degrees (convection)
Grease 2 regular size pans or one large pan liberally
Zest lemons - retain zest of 1 orange for icing, then juice the 3 oranges and mix the 2 oranges of zest with the juice of 3 oranges
Mix eggs, honey, sugar and vegetable oil in a large bowl
Sift Flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and cinnamon into another bowl



With electric mixer mix in the flour and orange juice/zest alternately roughly 1/3 at a time until all combined.


Pour into greased moulds



Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes, checking after the 30 minute mark - use skewer test to affirm when cooked.

Turn out on wire rack and cool completely.

I iced with egg white (royal) icing with orange zest. Would be yummy on it's own as a teacake or as mentioned above, honey glaze.

Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Gabrielle on July 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks really delicious! I'm with you, I'd rather make my own cake than have a bought one!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015