Monday, July 13

'When I was like you' and similar annoying 'help'


Do you have a friend or relative that does this?  Or do you maybe unwittingly do it?
I'm a bystander in this situation but I notice it between two friends.  One might vent in a self deprecating or even in a more serious way and the response recently is more often than not 'I used to be like that, but XYZ and I'm not now'.
Is that an insult?  Is it well-meaning but badly delivered or is it just elitist?  I kind of wrote it off to well-meaning at first but now I'm starting to think the latter...
I know find myself wondering when I share my parenting experiences with friends whether I do this?  I mean in a way when people have their first child, and your opinions change through experience (the abovementioned is not the same situation)...   Hmm off to ponder...
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Jess on July 13, 2009 at 9:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh no... I really hope I am not that person. I suspect I may sound like that sometimes... oh gawd.. you really have opened a can of worms in my brain!!

Anon on July 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I know what you mean Jess! In an effort NOT to give unwanted advice when someone is having problems, I sometimes share my own experiences instead... It's so hard to know what to say when someone is having parenting issues without stepping on toes!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015