Thursday, January 12

The Frills Family do Hong Kong Disneyland!


I remember Sunday nights, 5:30.  Wonderful World of Disney was my favourite.   I dreamed about going to DisneyLand.  Going on those rides, Meeting Mickey and Minnie.

That dream came true last weekend when Hubby and I decided quite last minute to take the kids to Hong Kong for the weekend.   That sounds really extravagant doesn't it?  But truth be told we were only two hours away anyways in Manila and I had to travel back to Sydney for work ahead of time via Hong Kong as there were no direct flights available from Manila to Sydney.

Unfortunately I didn't really think of some important things - namely:

  • Before you get the travel agent to book your business flights, make sure your family can get on the same flight.
  • Remember more than 12 hours ahead you're travelling into winter, especially if you've only got summer clothes and shoes with you.
So, after not being able to get hubby and the kids on my flight (I had to be flown business class) I put them on a discounted airline.  The plus to that was they were leaving an hour ahead of me so they could get sorted into the hotel ahead of me.  Wrong.  Their flight was delayed 1.5 hours and in fact I arrived ahead of them.   Hubby's first words to me after getting off his flight was - 'soooo.  How was business class?'.  I thought it best not to tell him that the Cathay Skybeds are brilliant and the fabulous service I had.  

The morning of the flight I had to do the mercy dash to the department store across the road from my office and find some jeans and long sleeve shirts for the frills - luckily I had bought some winter party shoes on sale - and jeans I was able to find but long sleeve shirts were non-existent.  Hubby picked some up at another store - and apologised in advance by text before I saw them 'beggars can not be choosers'.  ahem.

So we arrived late into Hong Kong and made our way to our apartment.  We didn't know they would be one to a floor and although superb, Hubby and I had to separate to spread ourselves between the rooms.  Super romantic!

So after the debacle of actually getting there, the dream began... off in the taxi from Hong Kong Island to Disneyland - about a 30 minute drive... very exciting seeing these signs!

And even more exciting getting to the entrance!  I think at this point Hubby was more excited than the kids!

And when this greets you as are walking in.. you know you're at the right place!

Yay, we have tickets!  They worked out about $40 each which I think is an absolute bargain right? Buy them online here

As you get into the park you can take a tour on the train that circumnavigates the park, you get a good idea of what you're in for!

But we headed straight up Main Street USA, we needed jumpers - as it was 12 degrees!  Very fabulously greeted by a marching band!

There are many shops, they mostly sell the same thing...  it's fun trying on all the bits and pieces..


 Hubby as Lotsa:
Perfect for cold ears right?

So after we were all warm we decided morning tea was in order - cue Mickey waffles:
Delicious and about $5 with cream, maple syrup and strawberries!

Then we headed off to tomorrowland - all things fantasy and space..  note, ensure people taking pics of you and your family realise you have three kids, not just one.. lol

The flying saucer ride, good for kids 4 and up..

Then we headed to space mountain, which I thought was maybe a 3d movie thing about being in space.. it wasn't until we'd lined up for five minutes, I spotted this screen and realise that's not what we were lining up for at all...
and I don't do rollercoasters.  But the kids were excited and I couldn't leave them.. I was a wreck before I got on..  It was terrifying,  I had my eyes closed for most of it, hubby was loving it.

When it stopped all three girls were crying and saying how scared they were.  Clearly they are their mother's daughters.  I felt dreadful to put my babies through that.  Then we went and saw the pic... we laughed through the tears and put it behind us.  I think I'll have company whenever hubby decides to go on another rollercoaser (he loves them)
Horrid!


We made our way to Fantasyland - the land where dreams come true!

We arrived to see Mickey helping Minnie into the Dumbo ride - sweet!

My frills went bananas!!

Daddy braved it on the merry-go-round - lines on the rides were mostly great, a few had long lines, we just gave them a miss!

Then on to the banquet hall...

For Mickey Jelly (as you do!)  $2.50 each

Meatballs with Mickey watermelon! With a drink $9

Three little pigs pork buns!  ($6)

After lunch we got to meet the idols!  My girl Eloise is so happy!

I bet Hubby didn't think he'd ever meet Mickey Mouse when he was a kid - let along high-five him!

Clearly they connected...

Family pic!

This is just a fraction of our time here, but you might overdose on the photos!!

 In summary
  • I would totally recommend a visit - I think it's reasonable in cost - and it's good for kids between 3 and 10 - I think if you wanted to take older kids I would go to Ocean Park in Hong Kong instead.
  • It only takes a day to see everything - no need for a two day pass
  • Stay at the resort if you can - we didn't but it would have been better - you get discounts on merchandise and can have anything you buy delivered to your hotel free of charge if you do.
  • Merchandise is pretty reasonably priced - sweatshirts were $35 each and most souvenirs are under $15 each.
  • Get it a good spot to see the street parade - 3pm daily - it's a must see.
  • In hindsight we should have started at lunchtime, and stayed for the fireworks at 8pm - but we were buggered after starting at 9am, left at 5pm instead.
  • Winter-time is apparently great time to visit (Nov-Feb) as the lines are shorter.. good to know!

Print this post in friendly format

15 lovely comments:

Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks like an awesome visit! Those three little pigs pork buns are sooo cute... but the meatballs look nothing at all like my favourite meatballs from your site. *lol*

Nice work to the hubby for making sure you have lots of company when he does any future theme park roller coasters... he can go join mine and you and I could just sit around laughing at them and checking whether their life insurance policies are up to date. *lol*

Yvette Bowyer @DTLilSquirts on January 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am totally jealous!! So want to go to Disneyland Hong Kong! I've done Florida when I was younger and have a vague memory.. definitely worth doing when your an adult!!! :) Looks like you had a fabulous time!! Lucky frills!

Corrie on January 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I loved that! I think HK disney might be the affordable way to do disney here while the kids are little:)

love all the pics, now I want to go for my dose of disney

thanks for sharing and bet the kids loved having all that time with you

Corrie:)

Unknown on January 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow! HK Disney is much more affordable than Disneyland and Disney World in the U.S.! I'm surprised at how much it resembles Disneyland... I'm not sure what I was expecting but definitely not so many similarities, lol! It's great to see you all having such a blast in spite of the icy weather.

Chelsea on January 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It looks awesome! I have to really thank you for writing it as we are off to Hong Kong & Disneyland in August with our 3 Children (12, 8 & 5) & their Grand Parents. Not sure if I will show them this now or wait until closer to the day. They are going to be soooo excited!!

anilou on January 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Your frills look soooo happy. We went in October 2007, the lines weren't too long, but it was very hot and humid. You are right about the ages, ours were 13 and 16 when we went. Way too old, unfortunately. Definitely one for the littlies.

Agnes on January 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This brought back great memories of our visit in 2010! I agree with your tips. We visited in December and there were no queues. We stayed in the resort for one night which gave us a 2 day pass to the park. That way you definitely get to see the fireworks - and they are great! We bought tickets online about a month in advance, which gave us a significant discount. A great affordable visit to Disneyland (we are from Sydney).

Maxabella on January 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Dream. come. true!!! I've been to Paris Disneyland and one day I will take my three to Hong Kong. x

M on January 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

How cute are the 3 little pig pork buns?! I wonder how they make the faces on them lol. I make pork buns (Filipino ones, no less!), wonder if I can work it out to make them for our girls

Jess said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We took our two boys in October and I'd agree with everything you said - except that we spent 2 full days there (staying for the fireworks both nights) as we couldn't see everything in one day. I think we still missed some bits! But we tried to literally do everything. And we loved it so much we're about to book tickets for Disneyland in Anaheim for this year!

Seana Smith on January 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hooray for you and the Frills and hubby! What a laugh. And many thanks for all the pix and your mum's-eye-view... now I feel confident it would work for us... err... no plans to go to HK at this stage but WHO KNOWS what might happen in the future!!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland on January 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So gorgeous, we went there 5 years ago while living in Darwin, just a quick hop with 4 children aged 3 to 8 back then. It was fantastic, it was the focus of our trip so we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel for a week, bought annual passes (which included amazing discounts on rooms, food, breakfast etc) & had an absolute ball. We're over due for another adventure, love Posie

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on January 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What a trip , looks amazing Liss.

Belinda on January 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We are big fans of Hong Kong Disneyland... everything you said is spot on.... very affordable, love the character food. I have been in the lead up to summer and in winter (I am pretty sure it was about 10 degrees that day) and winter was much easier to get around, but both times were fantastic. I love that it is so flat and easy to get around with a stroller or without.
Ocean Park on the other hand is a bugger to get around with a stroller.

Mara said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We live in Hong Kong and HK Disneyland is our second home! Absolutely love the place, especially since they added Toy Story Land last year. So glad you had a good time.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015