Sunday, May 2

Sunday Baking Project:Gluten Free Chocolate Chestnut Cake


Each Thursday I take the little frills along to playgroup.  I try and pretend it's all for them, but I confess it's as much for me as them.  The playgroup Mums (and Dads!) have built such a great rapport, and we've become friends outside of our Thursday morning get-togethers.  Our kids are starting school together, and ever-so-often we welcome a new baby too.

There's a (not so) secret movement to engage me to bake for the group every week - as I invariably am baking anyways - and I can't do open and close as my contribution of the roster... this week one of our lovely ladies has been advised no more gluten - she's handling it well she thinks, but laments she may have to miss out of my baking which made her sad.  So I set to work in looking through my cookbooks - and I found this gem - from the 'How to be a Domestic Goddess' by Nigella Lawson.  Kath, never fear, you won't need to miss out.

I have altered it a little, just because I'm not a fan of rum, and I had fresh chestnuts, but you all come to expect that from me right?

It seems like a bit of effort, and there's a bit of washing up to do but it's such a pleasure to make.  I love nothing more than stirring chocolate into a cake, do you?  Makes me feel so homey and domestic-goddess-like.

Ingredients:
425g chestnut puree (I made mine from scratch using this recipe or you can buy it from the supermarket)
250g 70% cocoa chocolate (I used the new Lindt 70% cooking chocolate - comes in a 200g block)
125g butter
6 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp rum (I omitted)
60g caster sugar
25g brown sugar

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a food processor, combine your chestnut puree, butter, egg yolks and vanilla extra.

Melt your chocolate by breaking into squares and putting into microwave safe bowl and microwaving at 50% power for 1 minute, take out, stir and return to the microwave at 50% off for a further minute.

Add chocolate to the chestnut mix, mix well, remove into large bowl.

In another bowl, whisk your egg whites until doubled in volume and fluffy.  Add caster sugar and continue to whisk until they become shiny and stiff.  

Sprinkle brown sugar on top and stir through gently.

Add meringue mixture to the chestnut mixture 1/3 at a time and combine gently.  It will form a mousse like quality.  At this point you'll want to fold and fold, it looks wonderful (go on, dip your finger in and taste it, you know you want to!)


Pour into a greased springform tin and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.

Psst if you cook with Lindt - look out for the specialty cooking chocolate in Coles and Woolworths!
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on May 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Making your own chestnut puree is well rewarded madness isn't it! :P

Jess on May 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummo! I am gluten free and will be making this as soon as I can.. thanks for sharing x

Julia on May 5, 2010 at 1:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Had to make this cake and it is THE BEST!!! I haven't enjoyed a cake like this for so long, especially a GF one. Thank you!!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015