Wednesday, April 27

Recipe: Easy royal wedding cupcakes


I am a sucker for a royal wedding.  Yes I am.

When Charles and Diana married in 1981 I was ten years old and I had my hair cut like Princess Diana.  It's nice to see that fantasy play out for someone.  When Mary married Fredrick - Eloise my eldest was three weeks away from being born so I stayed up that night drinking copious amounts of banana smoothies, sobbing with hormonal joy.

Now I have three little princesses of my own.

And they are excited.  It could have something to do with all the television coverage.  It could have something to do with Mummy talking about it with her friends all the time.  It might also have something to do with the little cupcakes I'll be making them to eat whilst they watch it on Saturday.

Mummy's going to watch it with her friends in a posh hat, a champagne and these cupcakes too.

Whilst I'm all about Australia becoming a republic one day, simultaneously I believe I'm a royalist.  My heritage is somewhat British and when I was 21 I left Australia's beautiful shores in the middle of summer and landed myself in London.  It was a balmy two degrees when I arrived.  But the cold never bothered me.  I won't lie I did wear a t-shirt the day it peaked over ten degrees, and laughed when my mates at the local pub declared it a 'heatwave' when it hit twenty nine degrees.

I still miss London so very much.  I did all the touristy things in the year that I lived there - Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, War Cabinet Rooms, Victoria and Albert Museum and of course - Westminster Abbey.  In fact I visited Westminster Abbey the day I landed.

So whilst I am an Aussie through and through a part of my heart will always live in London. 


Onto the cupcakes!

You'll need: 
  • 12 cupcakes of any sort you like - I made some using my basic vanilla cake recipe
  • 300g ready to roll or orchard icing (fondant)
  • Icing sugar
  • Blue food colouring
  • 4 raspberry lollies (that's red jelly candies of any type if you're not Australian!)
  • Silver cachous
Method:
Ensure your cupcakes are cold.

Take 200g of your ready to roll icing and add a tsp of blue food colouring.  Using gloves is advisable, unless you want to look like a smurf in reverse (i.e. blue hands). Don't follow my lead .. still trying to get it out of my fingernails. Ahem.

If the icing gets a bit sticky, just add some icing sugar - use like flour to pastry... roll out and cut with a glass/cutter just a little bit bigger than the top of your cupcakes, place on top and tuck in the edges.

Next, roll out the plain white icing then use a bottle top or in my case I've used an icing tip to cut out three small circles.  Place this on the cake, then add a small strip of icing cut with a knife.  

Lastly add some raspberry/red jelly lolly/candy and three cachous on the strip.  I cut raspberry lolly with a sharp knife on an angle to give it a 'jewel-like' quality.  


Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

hijac on April 27, 2011 at 9:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

They look fabulous!! I'd probably cheat though and use marshmallows on top. LOL Might even give them a try!

Not Quite Nigella on April 28, 2011 at 6:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aww the crowns are just gorgeous! And I can't believe how simple they are too which is just another bonus. Gives you more time to sip champagne dahlinks!

Sam Harvey on April 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

those cupcakes are bad ass! i can't wait till friday! ding dong! great post dahlink.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015