Friday, September 3

Nelbe shares her Gluten-free Godess-ness - Guest post - Gluten-free Brownies



I know I've told you before I have a friend locally who has been diagnosed with coeliac disease this year.  She has had to educate herself about all the new food she can eat, experiments regularly with gluten free alternatives but I know some days she does find it a difficult transition - given the rest of her family is not coeliac.  

I got some understanding of this when last month I was placed on an salicalyte and amine free diet by my immunologist which I found very de-motivating cooking wise.  It's just too tiring to think of an alternative all the time and in the end I just ended up eating the same things over and over... it was truly torturous!


So I have passed on Janelle's (Nelbe) site Nelbe's Gluten-free Kitchen to my friend and she's been inspired.  Janelle also shares links to resources and new gluten free products on the market that are easily accessible to anyone.   What a fabulous resource!


Janelle shares today a recipe she makes regularly - with a secret ingredient that makes it dairy free too!  I have road-tested it  - yet I doubled the recipe and forgot the baking powder.  You can see my my photos - it still works!


Thanks Janelle and ENJOY everyone!  Have a wonderful weekend - see you for Party Palooza tomorrow and Sunday baking project on Sunday xx.


Janelle writes:
I love yummy baked treats and as a coeliac all I make are gluten free. I love chocolate brownies and found this recipe on taste.com.au years ago. I tweaked it a little to make it perfect for me and my family.

One ingredient may surprise you – pumpkin! Yep, mashed pumpkin makes a yummy dairy free change to the mixture. Perfect if you ever run out of butter or you have friends who are dairy free.

The bonus to this is that my 5 year old son helps me cook in the kitchen. We have made this one that often that now he does not blink an eye to pumpkin going in. He knows that the pumpkin makes it yummy!


Ingredients:
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup plain gluten-free flour (I use either Orgran or Aldi brand)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150g mashed pumpkin, cooled (ensure pumpkin is well mashed)


Method:
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 4cm-deep, 20cm x 30cm (base) tin. Line with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends.

Sift flours, baking powder and cocoa into a large bowl. Add sugar.

Stir to combine. Make a well in the centre. Add eggs and mashed pumpkin to flour mixture. Using a metal spoon, mix until just smooth.


Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out with crumbs clinging.

Remove from oven. Allow to cool in pan. Lift from pan. Cut into squares and enjoy!




Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

Katy on September 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I know this kind of defeats the purpose, but I don't have rice flour - do you think I can use regular flour?

nellbe on September 3, 2010 at 1:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Katy, I think you would be able to use regular flour.

You can also used melted butter to replaced the mashed pumpkin.

Liss - thanks so much for having me!

Natalie- Mini Gourmets (for kids who love to cook) on September 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ahh man I wish i saw this yesterday! We are having friends over in an hr that are gluten free!!

Will keep it at the back of my mind for future playdates!

great recipe :)

PlanningQueen on September 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great recipe Janelle - love a brownie, will be great to have a gluten free recipe for friends who are coeliac.

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella on September 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for sharing your recipe Nellbe! :D

Kirsty on September 3, 2010 at 11:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thank you so much for your gluten-free recipes and for introducing me to Nellbes Gluten Free Kitchen.

I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease as well so I'm always hunting around the internets for tips and tricks.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is such a great recipie. Often try to cook gluten free for friends and family. Just out of interest do you replace the mashed pumpkin with the same amount of melted butter?

Katy on September 6, 2010 at 4:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Janelle! I had this in the oven within 15 minutes of reading this post! Absolutely delicious, and no one guessed there was pumpkin in it. I also added some chopped walnuts for some 'crunch'. Will definitely make again!

nellbe on September 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Anon - yes the same amount of melted butter - 150gms.

Katy - I am glad you like it! Adding walnuts is a great idea. Yum.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015