Sunday, January 22

Sunday baking project - Choc banana brownies!


Ohhhhmygod.
Oooooooooohmygod!

So good! After what seems like an eternity I have finally be reunited with my holy trinity: My KitchenAid, my oven and baking!!! Last week in anticipation for the frills' arrival from Manila (I came home a week ahead of them for work) I bought bananas. I couldn't help myself given then are so affordable here now! But alas, I think they overdosed on bananas in Manila and weren't much into eating them... so what to do with bananas that are on the turn?

I love banana bread, and banana cake and even the odd bit of banana tapioca pudding and the kids' favourite lunchbox legends banana date slice and banana bran muffins but hubby loves his brownies so I thought I'd make some moist brownies with bananas. A bit reminiscent of Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey icecream really.

Simple to put together, they smell absolutely divine baking and so yummy to eat! These are my new favourite brownies!


Ingredients:
185gr butter, soft or partially melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup caster sugar
3 large ripe bananas, peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups worth)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips


Method:
Preheat oven to 160 degrees c

Combine butter and sugars together until smooth and cream-like

Add banana and vanilla and mix until smooth

Add cocoa, flour, bicarb soda, walnuts (optional) and choc chips, mix well.

Couldn't you just eat a spoonful of this??

Spread into a tin lined with baking paper and sprayed with canola oil.

Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, then leave to cool for a further hour before cutting into squares.

Look at the ooozy chocolate, I've got to tell you it smells SO good!

Try not to eat it all .. at once.

My hubby got this as his birthday cake.. he loves his chocolate!


Do you find yourself with bananas to use? Give this a try!
Print this post in friendly format

14 lovely comments:

megs - mumontherun on January 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my goodness, they look SO good!!

I may have to give these a try, I'm a big fan of desserts and all things naughty, thank you!!

Debra on January 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss, this recipe sounds really good but I was just wondering, in the method you mention bicarb but not how much. I was just wondering how much I would need?

kimroseaus on January 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I need the bicarb answer too!!!

areid15@yahoo.com.au on January 22, 2012 at 8:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look really decadent and the banana would be a great addition to taste and texture.

Liss on January 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sorry all! 1tsp bicarbonate soda!

Maria on January 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Little Miss Abbie on January 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummo - they are in the oven right now! I noticed there is no eggs in it is that because bananas are in place of them Liss?

Liss on January 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yes Abbie no eggs! The bananas do the binding:)

Nicky Singh on January 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss, I'm currently living in India and bananas are dirt cheap. They are my favourite fruit, I probably eat 2-3 a day. I'm going to give your choc banana brownies are whirl as I absolutely love brownies too! A perfect mix!

Nicky Singh

Unknown on January 25, 2012 at 2:37 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yummy:)

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on January 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Welcome home , this looks so good.

CC on January 28, 2012 at 2:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow, your brownies look so good. Who would have though to add banana to chocolate brownies? Genius. It's on my list of recipes to try out.

Debra on February 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh man, this was totally yum - even my health conscience daughter asked me to make it again. The banana gives it a really rich naughty feel to it - YUM!!!

Quinn said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG these are sooooo yummy! Made first lot last week without walnuts and this week with walnuts, both a HUGE hit with family and friends. Thanks Liss!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015