Wednesday, May 13

Help me understand...baby food in a can/jar


Tinned/canned baby food.

I used to steam/puree/cook/puree all my kids food - it's for one cheaper and it's real food! It doesn't take long - I would do it on Saturdays - I worked full time. I wouldn't eat meat from a can - why would I expect my child to? Freeze it in portions, put it in the baby bag frozen, it defrosts over the day.

Is it a time thing? A confidence thing? A pure convenience thing? Don't hate me!

Is it on the same level as baby formula? I'm not a going on a pro-breastfeeding rant here because truth is breastfeeding a 4 kilo baby who didn't want breast milk categorically and breastfeeding twins, which I did do for the initial months - formula saved my life. I suppose the difference it is about what's feasible...? Double standard?
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Amanda on May 13, 2009 at 12:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm a Raffety's Garden devotee? Why? I slaved to make all sorts of delicious purees for Daughter Number 1 and she didn't want to know about them...commercial stuff she'd inhale. I decided with Number 2 I just wouldn't put myself through it again. That being said, it's just veges and fruit so far - when it comes to meat I'll give the home made thing a run again...I think the commercial version taste ugh.

Jaime on May 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I always made my kids food, rather than buying tinned/canned for them. I will admit to buying it when we were away or for those times when I didn't have time or just ran out.

Better, cheaper and once you've got all the gear and get into a rhythm its easy!

Kat on May 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

homemade here too besides the odd jar of custard or fruit puree. But with that said DD2 doesn't eat pureed anything, she has been on finger food from the get go, so much easier I tell you.

Danie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Im a bits and pieces, when she was one complete puree it was easy as to do it all in one batch freeze and away we went. It also helped that she spat heinz rubbish across the room if you tried to give it to her.

As she has gotten older the jars have been more frequent, if we have had a frantic weekend and arent having something that is going to be ready within 1/2 hour of getting home then she loves Raffertys Garden or the Nutricia stuff (which Steve steals while he is giving it to her).

Much easier just giving her what we have now, jars are generally for when we are out, or dinner is going to be too late for her to wait for.

ginchyworld on May 14, 2009 at 5:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We used jar food when on holidays, before my daughter was up to the finger food stage (which wasn't long). She'd pretty much reject all but the plain fruit purees anyway.

In normal life I cooked it all much like you. I'd do a batch and freeze in cubes. It didn't take long, and I got a much better indication of what she did and didn't like.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015